fitting a shower questions (beginner)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a few questions and was hoping you guys could help.

I have just gutted my old bathroom. I have pulled out the shower, plasterboards and all that is remaining is the pipes that supplied the shower I have just removed.

I need to fit a new shower and I don't really know what order to do it in.
I guess that I need to fit a new plasterboard and tile it, but what if my new shower does not fit on the pipes that are already there?

Is there a standard connection for showers or do you need to plumb in the pipes specific to the shower?

My previous shower had hot and cold connections at the same height but a few inches apart, could other showers have totally different connections?

Do I need to buy my shower now so I know where to make the holes in my tiles/plasterboard and poke the pipes through?

If I need to move the pipes, can I use push fit so I don't need to get a plumber or learn to solder?

Thanks
Andy

Sponsored Links
it would be a good idea if you know what shower you want or even buy the shower before you start.
do you want exposed/concealed shower ?
measure the pipe centres you have now, most showers now have a 150mm pipe centre.

if you want it concealed you will need to have the shower and fix the shower/pipes before fitting plasterboard.

what the shower running from a mains pressure system or gravity ?

Sometimes it is better to bite the bullet and get a Plumber in or at least get someone round to give you a Quotation. You really need someone who is willing to let you do the Donkey work to save cost.

It is an incredibly straightforward job for a Plumber but for an amatuer, very difficult.

Sponsored Links
Buy the shower and offer it up to see if the piping needs revision.

Oh and any amateur with a logical mind can do it, just think it through and plan what you need. You don't need to be a plumber! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back