Shower install Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my electric shower connected in a way, that the water supply pipe was coming from above the tiles. I wanted to hide the pipe in the wall. So I dug out a tunnel in the plaster board and put new 15mm pipe in. I used 2 compression elbow joints to make the connection with the shower inlet point.

The problem is, after connecting the elbow joints, the end that needs to be connected to the shower inlet is sticking out about an inch from the wall. But the shower inlet point is about half inch away from the back of the shower. So basically if I fit it as it is, there would be a gap of half an inch between the tiles and the shower. Does anyone have any suggestions for this problem?

Can solder joints be used for water? I was thinking of using solder elbow, as they are a little bit smaller then compression fittings. Or how hard would it be to bend a copper pipe?

Sponsored Links
Soldered joints are fine for water. You should use lead free solder.

A soldered elbow is certainly more compact than a compression fitting. Solder ring fittings are slightly bulkier than end feed fittings.

Maybe a street elbow would provide a solution, as you may be able to fit the male end of the elbow directly into the back of the shower unit.
p4752331_l.jpg
p4752218_l.jpg

Bending copper is quite easy - with the right equipment - but you won't achieve a bend radius of much less than about 3 inches, that's more than a compression elbow.

The minimum of equipment to bend 15mm copper pipe is a bending spring, and an appropriately shaped kneecap!

Thanks a lot. I think the street elbows will provide a solution. If it comes to it, I'll replace both elbows with street elbow, that should reduce the depth of the connection by enough to fit in the shower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back