Fitting a shower tray?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the middle of renovating my new house and I’ve hit another problem with installing a shower tray in our bathroom.

The shower tray I’ve got does not come with legs and side panels, but our plumber tells us that he needs to have the legs and side panels to install them. When I ordered the tray, I did not realise that it’s a must, to have the legs and panels.

We’ve have a wooden original floor in our upstairs bathroom, can’t he just lift some floor boards and fit the waste pipe without needing more room to lay the waste pipe, lifting it higher? :confused:

On the manual it’s either to have a screeded floor and then fit it, not sure if that’s for hard floor?

I’m not sure what the plumber is up to but he keeps insisting on us to supply him with the other parts, which will take more time to order.

Thanks.
:)

Sponsored Links
thats the way manufacturers treat us... everything is a special nowadays and the public blame the plumber! Its a great business model!

that said, the waste obviously has to be lower than the shower tray, and he may need the additional height to get the right fall...

wastes which are for showers 40mm for example should not transverse joists as they will be weakened...

so be nice to your plumber and try and understand the challenges the building (and design) throws up...

thats the way manufacturers treat us... everything is a special nowadays and the public blame the plumber! Its a great business model!

that said, the waste obviously has to be lower than the shower tray, and he may need the additional height to get the right fall...

wastes which are for showers 40mm for example should not transverse joists as they will be weakened...

so be nice to your plumber and try and understand the challenges the building (and design) throws up...

Thanks for your quick reply.

our tray is 55mm from floor, so you maybe right it needs the legs. Right now as the plumber has already started to work to fit the bathroom suites, it will take time to order another kit from on-line. Wondered if I could I get something quickly from a shop, from the likes of screw-fix.

Sponsored Links
It's called a plinth pack,as long as you know what size/ shape/ hand your tray is, should be able to get one from any plumbing shop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back