fitting a simple wall light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have a very basic question and hoped you could help. I'm fitting a simple wall light but it has no connection for the mains earth wire. Is there a fitting similar to a ceiling rose which would earth the light, and would it be small enough to sink into the wall?

(and on a separate note, I bought the light in John Lewis so it should be kosher, but why does it have no earthing connection, or instructions, or am i missing something (apart from a qualified contractor of course!)

cheers

Sponsored Links
Is the fitting Double Insulated.This should be indicated by a symbol of a square within a square.If this is the case then the fitting does not require an earth.

The fitting should have some wiring instructions - naughty John Lewis.

It has that symbol. so am i ok to simply fold back and tape off the earth wire?

John Lewis also sold me a lava lamp for the kids that was basically a sealed bottle with the lava in that was balanced in an inverted bowl light fitting. That went straight back.

Yes, just sleeve (or tape up) the bare earth wire so it cannot come into contact with any of the other conductors or the fitting itself.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back