Fitting a soil pipe through a joust

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im looking to fit a bathroom upstairs but the only way to get the soilpipe downstairs is by drilling a circular hole through one of the jousts (as outlined by the red circle below). Would this be ok from a structural point of view or should i re-enforce the joust and if so what would be best?

j7AzB.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks, according to that document the hole is far too big to be ok... Is there no alternative? Maybee add steal brackets above and below the hole?

Sponsored Links
Make the stud wall below loadbearing and you can cut away as much as you need.

Make the stud wall below loadbearing and you can cut away as much as you need.
Good idea.

Alternatively would it be possible to use metal banding or bracket above and below the joist to re-enforce it?

Alternatively would it be possible to use metal banding or bracket above and below the joist to re-enforce it?

You could try different things but I wouldn't. The regs are there for a reason.

Has to go above the floor. You can't got through joists with a soil pipe.
The floor will just fall down.

If you are unsure of the terms then it may be a DIYnot situation. So I would suggest you seek assistance from someone who does.

However nothing ventured 'as they say'

Trimmer a short section of joist set at right angles to the beam to be trimmed. these are affixed by joist hangers to accept the trimmer and trimmed joist to provide structural support.

the best pic i could find to give you a clue.

hope that helps

then all you need to do is double up the other joists as you have increased their load by 50%

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back