Fitting a trickle vent - what to expect?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI all, I have looked at a few threads on fitting these, the actual doing it does not appear to be a problem to me.
What I would like to know is what can I expect to find inside the frame, at the top?

This is a UPVC window, fixed top pane with large opener from 3/4 up for an escape window.

Looking at pics online they appear to have an alu frame inside them, do all windows have this?
Also if they have the frame is it mostly
http://www.coralwindows.co.uk/windows/images/frames.jpg

I am planning on fitting the trickle vent in the top of the frame, however would there also be an alu strip in the 3/4 horizontal part that supports the opener?

Your advice would be appreciated.

The pic below shows the frame type, lthough this is not the same window lol

Sponsored Links
Th above pic is wrong, the top window is fixed, the bottom opens so at the top there is a good 2.5" of frame available to me.

What to expect, well expect to find steel in those 3 areas and if there isn't any then jobs a good un! ;)

Seriously though i would expect only the sides of the opener to have steel in, the 2 horizontals i would take a guess at not having any in, try using a magnet to give yourself an idea of where to put the vent, but either way it ain't too difficult to drill through the steel if needs be

If its steel then thanks for the idea of the magnet.

I shall try some pilot holes before going too far.

If I have to drill through the steel, possibly breaking it in half, how is this going to affect the window? I do not want to weaken it.

Sponsored Links
The steel will more than likely be a 'C' section as opposed to a box section and is usually slid in with the open section facing in or out so you should only have one steel face to drill through.

Don't worry about breaking the steel in half, that won't happen, remember if the vent were put in at manufacture then the pvc and steel would have a slot routered into it, you won't be putting a slot in trust me, just do a series of holes, don't bother joining them up, it'll be impossible

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back