Fitting a wash basin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we have bought a small corner wash basin. It comes with support brackets that the basin 'sits on. However when we put the basin on, it tips forward because the weight is further forward than you can get the brackets. We have wondered about using one of the bottle traps that has a bracket to the wall. Would that be any good? if not can anyone help please?

Sponsored Links
..We have wondered about using one of the bottle traps that has a bracket to the wall. Would that be any good?
No.
Not being funny, but if it was in a sale, or very cheap, you now know why.
If it was a normal sale, bring it back and get a better one.

thanks Bengasman.
I agree re cheapness. This wasn't particularly cheap and was reputable dealer - I think I'll have to go back to them for ideas. It just seems so weird. I'm sure the brackets would take the weight - they are just set too far back - but I can't see that it would have made it to production if you couldn't hang the thing!
We'll devise some way of supporting it - we have one or two slightly odd ideas. I just wondered if we were missing something obvious.

can't see how it can't be sitting right.
one bracket on either corner and sit basin on.

have you a pic ?

Sponsored Links
when we put the basin on, it tips forward because the weight is further forward than you can get the brackets.

This is the bit that confuses me.

It should support it's own weight - silicon to "glue" it to the wall, rigid pipework for the taps, and use of bottle traps to support it, although they give you peace of mind should not be required as a part of the stability design.

Thanks both for replies.
Dextrous - I agree we know it should be stable - but it isn't.
Seco - the problem is that the brackets aren't in the corners. The shape under the basin is such that the brackets can't come further than half way forward. The side of the basin is 370mm. The furthest forward the front of the bracket can come is 160mm.

Because it is a corner basin there is more at the front than the back (it is a quadrant). Hence the basin tips forward when placed on its brackets - it just pivots on the front edge of the brackets.

I hope that explains it a bit more clearly. I haven't got a pic - but could do tomorrow.
Off to bed now perhaps I can solve the puzzle in my sleep!

Ihad same problem with a stupid little corner sink i wont say how long it took to get it fixed but it was embarassing :oops: :oops:

Silicon bed it to the wall then, supported overnight should do the trick. If you have a splashback (tiles?) to put on, then by the time this is on and siliconed, it should provide additional support. Bit odd though to have to rely on this.

Thanks everyone for advice.
I had a reply from the manufacturers who say it does tip forward slightly(!) when just on the brackets but with a chrome bottle trap attached to the wall it is fine.
The trouble for us is the bottle trap with the bracket going to the wall means that the pipework has to go through the wall but we don't have room for that - the pipework has to stay in the room and go along the wall.
If we create an 'artificial' wall across the corner, then the bracket on the bottle trap is too long!
We think that the problem is that it is the bottom of the basin that sits on the brackets so the front tips forward. We think that if we make longer brackets that go up inside the underneath of the basin (so that it is the top of the basin that is on the bracket) then the 'pivot' point will be at the top and as the back won't be able to swing back ( because its against the wall) then is should be mean that the front can't tip forwards.
Any thoughts?
I have created an album with photos called Lichine's washbasin if that helps anyone.
Thanks again.

plumb right up to the taps in copper- clipped along the wall - that`ll hold it. always used to for me ;)

Those brackets do look a little short - have you looked at brackets "off the shelf" - these may be longer and enable you to use a rubber wedge between the bracket and the ceramic

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back