Securing a hand basin

I

imamartian

Downstairs loo, handbasin, bought from Wickes, has two screws at the bottom and two metal brackets, at the bottom, to secure it to the wall. Obviously leverage is not accounted for, and the basin has come loose.

What options do i have for securing the basin? I'd rather not box it in. And i've considered a wooden bespoke bracket..

anyone any thoughts?

Ta!

Sponsored Links
thanks. but if i put a bolt through the wall (timber framed) and a huge washer on the other side... the design of the sink would mean it would rip the bolt out... My kids hang on to the sink to climb off the loo !

So longer screws is not viable... and gripfill? in the hole? or on the back ot the sink? i don't trust "no-nails" type stuff.... mechanical fixings and wood rule !

Have you considered a pedestal. Even if you get the fixings right, the china will crack/break with the kids swinging on the basin.

Sponsored Links
pedestal? yes i have... but i would rather not, and would i get one to fit a Wickes 'special'?

noggins, plywood, fresh fixings & gripfill must be the answer. unless your kids are in their 20s.

If you are expecting to fit a basin onto a sheet of plasterboard then forget it. It might work in a show house but not in a real house!

The only secure fixing is to use a proper big screw into a wood vertical.

Otherwise to fit to 18 mm MDF which is secured to the verticals.

Tony

Imamartian says all fixings are at the bottom of the basin, if a child was to pull upon the basin it would tend to stress the top or the basin..hence gripfill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back