secure sink basin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a cloakroom sink unit which has a basin that sits on a wooden table. I have cut the hole and placed the basin on top securing from the bottom with eveything supplied..and used sealant.

However,before the summer after using for about a week the wood top around the basin base showed sign of damp/water,leading to think that the water going down the drain is also going out of one of the overflow slots( for a better word).

I made sure the overflow slot was aligned to basin overflow slot but there is another one on the oppisite.

Why have 2? How do I stop the water going out of the second?

Sponsored Links
all basin wastes have two slots thay don't have to align with the overflow.
and if it was leaking out the waste how would it make the top wet ?

Is this something you have made yourself from a pudding bowl and a plank of wood or a shop bought item ?

your descrption of the fault is correct. What you have done is to use the waste backnut to hold the bowl to the timber. This leaves the waste 'slots' open the the inside face of the timber.

You need to remake the jopint so that the waste is completely sealed then secure the bowl to the worktop with another backnut.

Can't remember how to post a diagram so here's an attempt in words

basin
backnut
timber
backnut

I've seen at least three situations where a consumer has fitted as described and has had the same problem.

The fittings supplied with the bowl/basin are only standard slotted waste fittings and do not work if they are used to clamp the basin to the timber surface

Sponsored Links
Around the base of the basin that sits on the work top of this unit.The wood work top started to show signs that is was wet ie the wood darken,looked moist.It was not leaking or dripping underneath but the wood was definately getting wet.

As Newboy has said, the waste backnut and seal should be made against the bottom of the basin, not the worktop.

A design flaw of the average basin waste means it tends to leak water around the threads of the backnut, so make sure everything is copacetic there before mounting the basin on the worktop. 'Basinmate' washers were designed to address this flaw, but you may find space for one is limited in this application.

I cut a stepped hole in the worktop, so the backnut and seal, already fitted, drops into the larger diameter hole, and fitted a second backnut underneath to secure the basin to the top.

Cheers Ticky T and Newboy ...I will try your ways as soon as i find a way to get all the sealant off the wood and drain slot and backnut..without causing too much damage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back