Pop up waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I am having a problem with a pop up waste leaking and cannot seem to stop it, no matter what I'm trying.

It is a slotted waste with a rubber seal to sit on the top of the sink and I am using a basin mate for underneath.

There are two sinks, one is fine and the other is not. I think that what is happening is, as water goes through the waste some is getting through the overflow slots and then running down the thread on the outside of the waste.

I have used Basin mates quite a few times with no problems, but I'm not sure if I have over tightened it, changed the shape and it is now useless.

What is the best way to fit wastes with no worries of it leaking.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Take off the basin Mate and fill around the metal waste which comes from the basin with silicone refit the basin mate. That should give you a complete seal.

Andy

Hi Andy.

Is this the way it supposed to be done? I can't remember reading that on the instructions that come with it.

Someone told me to do the same, but using plumbers mate, which I've done. I haven't used it long enough yet to check.

Is the silicone a better seal than the Plumbers mate?

Thanks.

Hi Andy.

Is this the way it supposed to be done? I can't remember reading that on the instructions that come with it.
I have to admit, ive never worked out how a slotted waste is ment to seal without it being a bodge! Non-sloted is fine, but there no sealing provision below the slots.

Daniel

Sponsored Links
That's exactly what I was thinking.

There are thin rubber fins on the inside of the rubber part of the basin mate, but I don't know how good a seal that is and if you over tighten it may disfigure the shape it's supposed to be.

I normally apply a good squirt of silicon between each surface - so on the flat surface under the sink hole, ( and between the waste and the hole) on the sealing washer and then on the back nut. Tighten them all up then smooth off the excess. Never had one leak yet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back