how to keep wash basin secure against wall ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys....me again, got another problem....how hard can it be to secure a wash basin that rest on a pedestal against the wall....i assumed there would be some holes in the wash basin...put a wall plug..and screw both sides in but....no...this wash basin has got two two hole nearly inch and half wide...so how do i secure this to the wall....do i need some special fitting...its also hard to get a small screwdriver in there..see pic below to see what i mean

DSC01079.jpg

Sponsored Links
Dan_Robinson said:
Hopefully the wall is brick in which case you use fischer bolts (search screwfix for them).

If it's a stud wall you need to battern out and fix to those.
under the tiling the wall is made of thermalite blocks....plus the hole showing in the pic is nearly 2 inches in diameter...

there are fixings that come with that type of basin, fischer bolt with a 1 inch rebated plastic washer and nut. a few blobs of bathroom silicone always helps between the basin and wall as an extra measure.

Sponsored Links
markplumb said:
there are fixings that come with that type of basin, fischer bolt with a 1 inch rebated plastic washer and nut. a few blobs of bathroom silicone always helps between the basin and wall as an extra measure.
i got no kind of fixings with the basin which i bought from plumbworld..just a pedastal and washbasin......looks like like a trip to screwfix...cheers guys..

nope but if i did i'd make sure them fixings were sent out with the basins :)

markplumb said:
nope but if i did i'd make sure them fixings were sent out with the basins :)
ok...lol, just one question...those large washers in the screwfix link.....what size are they, as they look smaller then the actual hole in the wash basin....wouldnt they just drop through ?

Looking at the shape of the basin and knowing that the big holes are not usual for mounting I think they have missed something in answering you.

The little depressions on either side are I think designed for the little cast iron brackets which I like so much. I dont know where they are sold but I have some but my new digi camera has gone wrong and someone cannot find the receipt which usually means she has thrown it away.

Tony

gawd no not them super sturdy cloak room basin brackets......the ones where the copper and waste pipe gives more support than the actual brackets :D . you are correct but i only use as a last resort i'm afraid.

I love them!

They never break or come off!

They will also make a much stronger bracket for mounting boilers than most manufacturers fit.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back