fitting a wood door to upvc frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i would like to know what would be the method for fitting a wooden external door to a UPVC frame and if this is possible at all. Ive been told by severall window manu. that this can not be done. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
andreasimmonds said:
i would like to know what would be the method for fitting a wooden external door to a UPVC frame and if this is possible at all. Ive been told by severall window manu. that this can not be done. Any suggestions?

Thanks

seem to have answred your own question

andreasimmonds said:
Ive been told by severall window manu. that this can not be done.

probably has to do with timber expanding

and "normal"screwed hinges wouldn`t hold in the plastic frame :oops:

Sponsored Links
andreasimmonds said:

Thanks

they each have the hinges in a different place
the doubleglazed doors are on the face where as the wooden doors have the hinges fixed along the edge and the hinges tend to pivot at a different point to allow the d/g seals to work properly

It has become the fashion to fit ether timber or composite doors into pvcu frames. Retro fitting though can be a messy business. things to considder are. Frame rebate size and lock positions as pvcu doors tend to be thicker and the lock located closer to the edge of the frame.
There are a large number of hinges on the market for doing this job. but its simpler to replace the frame at the same time.

uPVC doors tend to have several latch points up the door's leading edge side of the frame, a timber door would use a mortice lock. You will therefore end up with only one locking point in the weakest part of the frame - the lip on the edge, rather than the strip screwed into the reveal.
Pull the frame out and install a proper external grade timber frame, it will hold the door more firmly and allow secure locking.

i bet the OP has done it now.

clues:

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006

andreasimmonds

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back