Fitting an extra fluorescent light and switch in garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to add another fluorescent light and switch to my garage.
The power comes into a switched unit where the mains plugs are fed from constantly. There's a switch on this which switches the light on(3 amp fused)
In other words the light is on its own circuit and not connected to the house circuit. Can I just add a ceiling rose and an extra switch and if so how should I wire it up properly.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Could you just clarify your existing light is supplied via a 3A fused connection unit? If so, does the cable go to the switch or light first?

So the picture shows a switched fused connection unit (FCU), is this the switch that operates the light or is there another switch after the FCU?
Do you want the second light functioning via another switch or both lights same switch?

Sponsored Links
Yes, that is the switch that operates the light, no other switches involved.
Ideally I would like the 2nd light to have its own switch

The light is spurred from a socket circuit, the FCU down fuse for existing light but also operates it. So to have separate switching function for both lights, you will need to introduce two new switches. One for existing light and one for new, these can be single switches or a double gang, depending on how you want them locating.
But the upshot would be that you run the line, neutral and earth/CPC from the FCU to each switch, from the switch you connect the neutral in a connection block. The line to common of the switch/switches, then you run a twin and earth cable to the lights (you already have the existing in place). The neutrals are connected together at the connection block at switch.
Then the line going to light is terminated at L1 of switch.
At the light fitting, line to live and neutral to neutral.
Terminate all CPC/earths together at switches, using earth terminal of metallic back box and metal switch plate if using metallic switch/box, if using plastic then fit to earth terminal if one present or use a connection block, it is important that continuity is kept throughout the CPC/Earth and terminate the CPC/earth to light earth terminal.

There are other methods of doing this by looping in at the light, but your existing set up would suit looping the neutral at the switch plate.

Thanks, that sounds quite involved.
I think it would be easier to just have one switch for both lights on reflection, I assume this would be much easier to do.
Is it a case of just piggybanking onto the other light
Thanks again

It sounds more complex than it really is, just a bit long winded explaining it!
Because the FCU is used as switch and isolation, means you need two additional switches or every time you switch existing light off via FCU it will isolate new light.
For both lights to work from the switch of FCU, simply go between existing light and new one, with twin and earth (1mm or 1.5mm) connecting at both lights identically to live, neutral and earth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back