Problem with replacing ceiling light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I changed a fluorescent light with another spot light but problem. The switch doesn't turn the light off.
The mcb controls 5 lights, this one am changing, another 3 plus another fluorescent light in garage. The 3 are working fine, garage light now stopped working.
I wired the new light same way as was the fluorescent. Pls see pic attached, I've put a ceiling rose now for testing.
What can I try? I tried diffrernt light switch, didn't help. Even if I remove brown wire form L1 on the switch, light still on. It's 1 gang 1 way.
Thanks

Attachments

• light.jpg
    light.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
have a look at the wiring here

cant see clearly - but it doesnt look the same - can you move out the 3 grey so we can see clearly where each blue/brown connects

looks like 1 grey has been connect to the 3 way - both blue and brown - maybe wrong - only have a small screen

Another pic, hope is clearer

Attachments

• light.jpg
    light.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 50
You have mixed up the switch cable with the permanent line and neutral.

Sponsored Links
as suspect you have 1 grey - blue - brown = both connected to the one connection block
have a look at the link i sent - shows how it should be cabled

you just need to identify the switch cable - .... power in -out

Thanks guys
I got in touch with the electrician who wired this part of the extension in 2006, with the aid of meter he identified the switch wires and from then on everything was wired. All working including garage light. Phew
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back