Problem wiring fluorescents?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem. My garage/cellar had 2 incandescent bulbs and one old fluorescent strip light (with a starter), operated by 2 double pole switches. This gave inadequate light so I've replaced the light fittings, and now have 1 incandescent and 3 new twin T5 fluorescent fittings (no starters) all wired in parallel. The light improvement is great. Everything worked fine for a week. Now, when I try to switch the lights on, there is a short buzz, a flash from one of the fluorescents and nothing happens. The trip does not go off. If there was a problem with the fluorescents I could understand it, but the incandescent does not come either. How can that be? As I already had an incandescent paralleled with a fluorescent, which worked fine, I didn't think I'd have a problem?

Any help or suggestions would be welcome. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Maybe replace the switch with an inductive type ?

Shouldnt be neccesary with High Frequency fittings
Ie no starters, T5

You say you have 2 double pole switches, so i hope each fitting has the relevant L and N pair otherwise certain switch combos could have seriesed the fittings possibly damaging the units

The first thing would be to re-check all connections on this part of the circuit.
Check that there are no loose or damaged conductors and they are correctly terminated.

Sponsored Links
Do you have any test equipment?

Without it the only option is trial and error and that could be dangerous.

Maybe replace the switch with an inductive type ?

Shouldnt be neccesary with High Frequency fittings
Ie no starters, T5

You say you have 2 double pole switches, so i hope each fitting has the relevant L and N pair otherwise certain switch combos could have seriesed the fittings possibly damaging the units

Thanks for this. The light fittings do have L and N terminals, are you saying the fittings might be wired incorrectly internally, or do you mean something else?

As I'm in darkness at the moment, I'm going to disconnect everything and start again, adding lights back one by one, and testing as I go.

Thanks to everyone for all the help and suggestions.

Found a loose connection in an old and oxidised JB. Replaced JB, put everything back and it all works fine again.

Thanks for all the replies gentlemen.javascript:emoticon(':D')

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back