10ax switch?

Sponsored Links
Hopefully it's singles and earth and an insulated and sheathed single. Here's a photo of one from yesterday for those who haven't come across it before. This one unusually has its cpc insulated rather than bare.
switch.JPG

I've just found out that the 1gang 1 way garage switch I wish to replace has 2 cables entering the switch box, I was expecting 1. One of the cables only seems to have a red wire coming out of it and is connected to the bottom of the switch, the other has an earth wire and a red wire connected to the top of the switch. Why are there no neutral wires?
Also instead of just replacing the old switch I wanted to extend the cable further up the garage to the new switch for convenience. I intended to put a 20 amp junction box where the old switch is and new cable from the box to the new switch. In the junction box is it ok to connect the new T&E blue wire to one of the old red wires, and the new brown wire to the other red wire, and the new earth to the old earth wire? Then the new blue and brown wires to the bottom and top connectors in the new switch. I don't know much about electrics so maybe that's all wrong. Would value any help.

Switches don't need neutrals. They need a line and a switched live (and an earth of course). What you are proposing is feasible, but brown must go to the line wire, so you need to determine which it is.

Your second from last sentence suggests you shouldn't be doing this at all. Electricity can and does kill.

Why are there no neutral wires?
Because, like almost all light switches, it is a single-pole switch. It only switches the live. You can take the neutrals to the switch box, bit but they would not connect to the switch.

Inthe junction box is it ok to connect the new T&E blue wire to one of the old red wires, and the new brown wire to the other red wire, and the new earth to the old earth wire?
Yes, but sleeve the blue with brown.

I don't know much about electrics
You really, really, REALLY ought to learn something. Trying to do electrics without actually understanding what's going on is incredibly foolish.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I want to put it further up the garage by the side door as it would be more convenient than having to walk down the garage every time we want to put the outdoor light on.

That wiring is rather old.
The back box is not correctly earthed.
The conduit is rather rusted so may not be effectively earthed, though this is less of a problem if all your cables are sheathed like the ones in the photo.
Would it be useful if you wire it as a 2 way switch so you can switch on and off at both positions?
What type of wiring are you going to use? Looking at the photos I'm concerned it won't be suitable for the location.

I think he was asking why you can't use the existing switch in the new location?

I don't want to use the existing switch as it is very rusty.
I don't need to be able to switch the light on and off from both locations.
I was going to use T&E 1.5mm as this has been used elsewhere in the garage with no problems. Although the garage is ancient it is watertight if that is your concern.
Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back