Replacing Light switches 10AX, 6AX/20AX ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Prior to doing some redecorating, I've decided to standardise the light switches about my home.

There are 2 plates that still need replacing.

1 > Is a single intermediate switch, it has 4 wires going into it, it is marked 10AX. I believe the 10AX indicates it is rated for up to 10A, but not sure why the X ? [EDIT] Have just thought about it, the X indicates it is an intermediate switch ????

2 > Is a modular switch, it has two modules, one has 3 wires going into it ( 4 holes, one hole is blanked off ) and is marked 6AX and the other module has 4 wires going into it and is marked 20AX. The first module is used as part of a two way light circuit. The second module is used as part of a 3 way light circuit and I assume is the intermediate switch. Should they not both be rated 10AX ? Is it possible to use a standard double intermediate switch to replace this modular thing ? If not, is it possible to buy visually standard looking modular switches ?

Cheers for help in advance :)

Sponsored Links
Not sure what the X is for either, but you can replace the first switch with a standard intermidiate switch.
You won't be able to buy a double intermidiate switch for the second one, you will need to replace like for like in a modular range, known as grid switches.
The current rating on the switch is not really relevent in a domestic situation, 6amp is standard but a higher rating is also ok to use.

AFAIK the X means the switch does not need to be derated if it is used to switch an inductive load.

As niloc said you will have to keep the grid switch as a grid switch, but this is not a problem. There are some very good looking grid switches on the market these days such as the MK edge grid switch system.

If you replace all your standard switches with a brand that also makes the same style in grid switches, you can match the lot.

RF is right about the "X".

As long as the current rating of the switch meets or exceeds the protective device, don't worry about the figure.

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
If you replace all your standard switches with a brand that also makes the same style in grid switches, you can match the lot.

Wish I knew that before I'd replaced several of the others !

My switches are actually a pretty standard design ie cheap, there were a couple that didn't really match and then the two I mentioned in my original post, that REALLY don't match.

Thanks for all your replies, I'll get my ass down to a supplier next week and see what they've got and NO, I don't mean B&BleedingQ.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back