10ax switch?

Photo of existing rusty switch. IMG_3636.JPG

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
If ever there was a case of "life's too short" it's that idea.

Leave the box where it is, replace the switch with a blanking plate, inside put a bit of choc-block and run a cable to the new place where the switch is preferred.

Were it me I'd use a metalclad for the new one, and steel conduit between the two, as it's in keeping, but I doubt the environmental influences make that necessary.

you presumably could just replace the rusty front plate?
And for your edification and delight, an idea contrary to both that and the philosophy of "life's too short".

Wire wool + phosphoric acid + a degreaser + hammerite + a few hours work = front plate rejuvenated.

you presumably could just replace the rusty front plate?
And for your edification and delight, an idea contrary to both that and the philosophy of "life's too short". ... Wire wool + phosphoric acid + a degreaser + hammerite + a few hours work = front plate rejuvenated.
Indeed - but it was not me who asked the OP why he wanted to replace the switch (thereby implicitly suggesting that it might not need replacing), when he had only asked about how to do it :)

Kind Regards, John

I'm actually a she not a he!
What is choc block?
Have decided to learn a bit more about wiring/circuits etc before attempting any more projects but would like to complete this one and have one last question.
The existing earth wire can be seen secured under a screw in the back box. If I remove the old switch and replace it with a plastic junction box connected to new cable running further up the garage to a new plastic switch and plastic back box with an earth terminal in it, will the metal conduit that is connected to the old metal switch ( and that the old cable will still run along to the new junction box) still be earthed?
Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
What is choc block?
A common name for connector strip:

TLCON2X.JPG

The existing earth wire can be seen secured under a screw in the back box. If I remove the old switch and replace it with a plastic junction box connected to new cable running further up the garage to a new plastic switch and plastic back box with an earth terminal in it, will the metal conduit that is connected to the old metal switch ( and that the old cable will still run along to the new junction box) still be earthed?
If you do what you propose it will no longer be earthed via the existing switch box, so it depends on whether there's an earth connection at the other end of the conduit.

However, as the cables in it are insulated and sheathed it wouldn't need earthing. And FYI - you can't be sure it is properly earthed now, given how rusty it all looks. Does it seem good and tight?

Will the nut come off so that you can remove the old box? What supports will there be for the conduit once the box has gone?

The nut will come off and the conduit is firmly secured to the wall with it's own supports.
The other end of the conduit goes into the garage fuse box - an old one with pull out fuses. There is another piece of metal conduit that goes from the fuse box down into the concrete garage floor and presumably under the back porch concrete floor and into the house. The cable but not the conduit eventually comes up through the floorboards and goes into the consumer unit - a new one with an MCB for the garage.

I have now installed the junction box and switch and it all seems fine.
Thanks to everyone who has given their help and advice over the past few days.
Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back