Fitting an outside tap (moved from Projects).

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, recently bought a house and want to fit a tap outside for watering the garden. There is an old wobbly tap not connected to any water and there are also a couple of pipe ends poking out of the wall. Are either of these pipes likely to be water? If so what kind of tools would I need to use to attach a tap to them?

I have never attempted any kind of plumbing at all but so know very little about it, but it seems like it should be an easy job if there is already a water pipe here.

Sponsored Links
You'd be better asking this in the plumbing section, I've only stumbled across it by accident. (Mod's could you move it please?)

Without ascertaining where either of the 2 pipes sticking out the wall are attached to I wouldn't be touching them. Bottom pic could possibly be a drain for the Central heating system or even gas. Top, not sure at all, water I'd hope due to type of cap used, but no certainty. The existing outside tap affair, goodness knows what that's supposed to be, it's totally unsuitable as it has no frost protection or means of draining during colder months, and probably no check valves either. Again, I'm not sure where it would be supplied from, the top branch could have been the supply, and the branch going underground could have fed another tap elsewhere, and there is no clue as to the condition of the underground pipework, could leak like a sieve now.

My advice is to either get someone who knows what they're doing to ascertain if there is anything there already you can use, or failing that, start again.

Many thanks for the response.

It makes sense about the pipe feeding another tap, there is another one in the greenhouse in the garden that doesn't work, I had been wondering where it was supposed to be supplied from.

Sponsored Links
Photo1: that pipe is capped with a pushfit stopend which isn't suitable for permanent use outside - o ring could freeze and split.
If you can trace where it comes from on the inside, it may be suitable to use if it is off the cold main in the house! You could turn your stopcock off and see if it flows when cap removed and stopcock opened.

Photo2: is probably your best option to identify a feed. It's been disconnected in the past but above where it has been cut, look on the inside to see if you can find where it has been capped off, pipework should be nearby - you could drill through wall and reconnect again... Also better as it is over a drain!

Photo3: looks like incoming gas to right and draincock on left; again- trace inside house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back