Outside Taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to have an outside tap fitted but I think I may have a big problem.My kitchen is at the front of my house and I want a tap where I can fix a hosepipe to water my large garden at the rear.Is there any possibility of being able to fit a tap at the back or side of my house?Or will I have to carry on with a watering can.Any advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
You need to find the nearest mains fed pipe and tee off that to a double check valve/garden tap.
It may or may not invlove a long run, only you will know.
Do you have a side wall to attach it to then run the hose pipe or are you terraced?
Pete

Thanks both-I live in a semi so I have an outside wall.However my front door is at the side.Could you give me any idea whether it is a very expensive job as I can't face another summer using a watering can.

Sponsored Links
Outside tap kit £15
Copper tube £6
Compression tee £2

Fitting your self free

Flooding the house who knows

Pete

Whats up with fitting at front and gettin a longer hose to reach back garden

swordfish said:
I can't face another summer using a watering can.

Then pray for rain... it's going to be a hot one (hosepipe ban would really pee on your chips wouldn't it :LOL: )

Fluffster said:
Outside tap kit £15
Copper tube £6
Compression tee £2

Fitting your self free

Pete

I'm currently planning the fitting of an outside tap, and what you've listed here sounds very simple. However I've got two OLD diy books. They both seem concerned about having an inside stop valve, to enable draining the ext. pipe in cold weather. And one says 'should be fitted to the rising main! I would prefer to fit after the stopcock, or have i misunderstood him?
It also says something about fitting below the kitchen tap, why is this important?
ta!

Having an isolation valve inside for when it freezes o/s turn off and open the tap to release any standing water.
Double check valve negates the positioning of the tee after the sink tap, this was to prevent back syphonage contaminating drinkin water supply.

Feed from anywhere you can connect after your internal mains stop valve.
Pete

keithpenny said:
Fluffster said:
Outside tap kit £15
Copper tube £6
Compression tee £2

Fitting your self free

Pete

I'm currently planning the fitting of an outside tap, and what you've listed here sounds very simple. However I've got two OLD diy books. They both seem concerned about having an inside stop valve, to enable draining the ext. pipe in cold weather. And one says 'should be fitted to the rising main! I would prefer to fit after the stopcock, or have i misunderstood him?
It also says something about fitting below the kitchen tap, why is this important?
ta!

"Outside tap kits" contain a self-cutting fitting complete with isolation valve and integral double check...

cheers guys, tap and stopvalve all installed!:cool: Understand now about the syphonage prooblem, though the tap has a one way valve in it....clever!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back