Fitting Another New Light-help with wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I just need to fit a new fitting in the downstairs toilet.

I'm a bit bemused by the large number of wires going into and coming out of the current fitting. Could anybody give me a clue on how to wire this to the new fitting?

I have attached photos of both the new light and the existing wiring

//www.diynot.com/network/Greenlight/albums/5899

All help gratefully received!!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You're going to struggle getting that lot in that light fitting.

For a start the cable entry is probably too small to accept the sheathed cables, and possibly the earth wires need jointing/extending to reach the earth terminal.

As this is a downstairs toilet I wonder how accessible those cables are from above, the simplest solution being fitting a junction box of some kind.

From the joint you would run heat resistant cable (or heat resistant sleeving etc) to the light fitting.

Assuming you do not have access above you could fit a jb or a slimline jb/enclosed so-called choc-box, and 'lose' it in the ceiling void.

Or you could fit a circular besa (conduit) box flush in the ceiling, and do your joint here. If you use this method I recommend using heat resistant sleeving on the existing wiring, in case the insulation gets hot from the light.

When you do the joint, observe the original connections.

The group of reds in the middle of the old rose must remain in a connector on their own, ie NOT connected to the light.

The group of blacks is the neutral that forms the neutral of the light fitting.

The on black (sleeved red) goes to the live of the light fitting. (I can't tell for sure by your picture if there is also a red connected to this, or if it goes to the centre 'loop' terminal. The point is you must wire the light fitting as it is, and not as you think it should be.)

Finally the earth (green/yellow) to the earth terminal on the light fitting.

The point is you must wire the light fitting as it is, and not as you think it should be.
And if you don't think it should be as it is, then it is you who is wrong, not the wiring.

I'm a bit bemused by the large number of wires going into and coming out of the current fitting.
Please study the articles here: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting, and possibly in a decent DIY manual, until you are no longer bemused.

Attempting electrical work when you're bemused by what's going on is a Bad Idea.

the 3 blacks on the left are the neutral these go in the terminal marked N
the 3 reds in the middle ( marked loop ) are the permanent lives, these go in a seperate terminal block ( that you provide )
the black with red sleeving and the other red on the right are the switched live ( the red feeds the fan no doubt.. ), these go in the terminal marked L
the earth wires go the the big nut with the earth sybmol next to it..

Sponsored Links
Greenlight, its useful to post the images in your post.
See instructions in Forum Information

For other readers, here's the picture of Greenlight's perfectly standard 3-plate pendant light fitting ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back