Fitting basin taps to bath?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are currently fitting a new suite and have bought some new mixer taps off of ebay. The ebay listing calls the tap a "basin/bath" mixer tap. The taps have two 15mm braided hoses with connectors on which is fine for the basin but the bath has a 22mm pipe on the hot water feed and a 15mm on the cold. I know you can get connectores which will reduce the pipe diameter but I'm not sure what effect this will have. It must be 22mm for a reason?

I called the ebay shop and asked if there would be any problems and the chap said it would be fine, it would just take longer for the bath to fill, but after reading a few posts on here I'm now not sure it will be.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Sponsored Links
It is 22mm to provide a higher flow rate and, as the eBay chap said, to reduce it to 15mm will reduce the flow ... Either you're happy with this or you're not really ... If you're not you need to change the tap.

Is your hot water fed from a tank or a combi?

Hello, thanks for the speedy reply.

The hot water feed is from a combi fitted about 18 months ago. Before that there was also a combi but I assume the 22mm pipe diamter is left over from

We haven't yet cut the hole/s into the bath for the tap/s. The one we got off of ebay is a mono block mixer type design so would only have one hole. I don't really know how much of a reduction in preasure to expect and don't want to cut a single hole into the bath, find out that the hot water only comes out at a dribble, and then be forced to find a suitible bath mixer. If on the other hand the water preseure reduction isn't too bad then I would like to keep the tap.

Mark

My Bro plumbed his bath with 15mm on both ..... The cold was fine ....... But you could read a encyclopedia while waiting for the hot to fill ........ I guess its all got to with pressure in the end ..... But thats what happed to him anyways :confused:

Sponsored Links
15mm Should be fine as both are fed from mains pressure rather than a gravity fed system.

Thanks for the replies.

So, fundamentally what's the difference between a basin tap and a bath tap? Do they both come with 15mm fixings as standard? Or should I expect the bath taps I order to come with 22mm fixings? Or is there another difference, perhaps internally that makes one a basin tap and one a bath tap?

I'm not sure if this is relevant but our kitchen tap is a monobloc mixer tap and the pressure from this is excellent.

lets try this from a different angle ....... Is your hot water supplied under mains pressure ?

If its gravity fed, whats the approximate distance from the bathroom floor to the base of feeding tank ?

(This is where bro came unstuck)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back