Fitting bathroom wall panels / cladding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I'm going to fit some Swish Marbrex bathroom panels to save paying out £300+ to a fitter.
I have the basic install guide from the Swish website, and just wanted a bit of extra advice or any pointers that I may not have thought of.

The walls are pretty good as they've been skimmed, but they're not perfect. The two external walls obviously being brick and the two internal walls I think are both plasterboard (one with a radiator attached).

The plan is to get panels, coving and corner trims.

I've been advised to remove the existing skirting as the panels are pretty thick, and we don't want overhang. I guess it would be best to fit the panels from ceiling to floor and then put plastic skirting on to finish.

So, a few questions:
1) The guy at the shop advised using a bath trim rather than taking the bath off the wall, which is fine, but said we'd probably need to take the sink and toilet off the wall and panel behind. This is probably true for the sink, but it looks like we might be able to slot a panel down behind the toilet, and shape it around the waste pipe. I presume there's no need to leave any significant clearance behind the cistern or anything?

2) What's the best way to deal with the window frame? I guess we could
put trims around the edges and panel the recess as it would make it look more uniform than leaving the visible wood. Alternatively, I could attempt to partially cut throught the back of the panels and bend them around the window frame edges, but this may end in disaster!

3) We have some water pipes that I'd like to box in to hide. Would you just use plywood or something and panel over it?

4) For skimmed walls with a base coat of paint, what would be the best adhesive for attaching the panels? The guy at the shop quoted for a whole barrowful of silicone, but he never asked what the walls are like now, so is this the best option? Looking at the Swish guide it says I just need to key the walls and apply the adhesive in a zig zag, but doesn't specify which type of adhesive is most appropriate.

5) Any other pointers? Any awkward bits or things I should be aware of before I start?

6) Oh, and one more thing - there's a hole in the wall where there used to be an air vent. There's no extractor in the bathroom, but the window is pretty big and these panels are supposed reduce condensation. Should I cut a panel around the hole and put a new vent cover on it, or should I just fill the hole up and panel over it?

Cheers all,

Clem Bones.

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

I know this post is pretty old but I want to help out anyone that is in the current situation.

Usually, with PVC wall cladding, you can just use a Stanley knife to cut the panels to shape. I would use MDF to box in the pipes if you had to.

For these types of panels, you can actually put the panels over the top of uneven wall surfaces, which is actually one of the reason why I use it a lot with projects as it looks good and saves so much time.

From experience Targwall offer brilliant bathroom wall panels

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back