Fitting Blinds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to fit a venetian blind using top fixings and the opening is not square by any means. The top horizontal part (skimmed plasterboard) of the the opening dips / is lower in the middle, with each end rising up higher, maybe between 5 and 10 mil difference. Also, one end of the top section might be higher than other end. Maybe I just fit it and it wont be noticeable, but are there methods to make the blind sit better?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
You can use nylon shims to pack out the fittings

https://www.orbitalfasteners.co.uk/categories/plastic-shims-packers

They can be cut to size if they are too big. I normally use cable snips or a knife to trim them to size.

What are the holes for in the shims and wy are some horse shoe shaped? So these would go in between bracket and the ceiling / top part of window opening where i am attaching to. Guess they will stand out in colour, unless I use white so same as the painted plaster.

Ultimately, I guess that the holes are there to keep the cost down, but they do make it easier to screw through.

You can even use shims of timber if you prefer but it will be more time consuming to cut them. You would also need to predrill a clearnce hole to prevent the timber from splitting.

Sponsored Links
ah ok, so i cut them down to size so that they are similar size to the bracket and position the holes so I can screw through, rather than having to drill through the plastic. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back