Fitting boiler outside temperature sensor in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’d like to fit an external temp sensor to my boiler. It’s currently in the loft so I was hoping fitting that and leaving it in the loft would be ok, would that work ok so I don’t have to route outside?

Sponsored Links
I’d like to fit an external temp sensor to my boiler. It’s currently in the loft so I was hoping fitting that and leaving it in the loft would be ok, would that work ok so I don’t have to route outside?

Not really, but slightly better than nothing. Loft temperatures can vary quite drastically, depending on whether sun is shining or not. Ideally, they need to be outside, but on a wall which gets no sun at all, so north facing and sheltered from weather. If it is a wired one, an easy solution is to run from the boiler and poke the wire out from the eaves.

Ah ok - will try and find a gap I can poke some wire through! Looks like just bell wire so hoping a nice easy fit

If the sensor is to enable Weather Compensation for the boiler, its normal to fit the sensor on a North facing wall.

Sponsored Links
That's a basic boiler and I don't know it at all. If it can take WC, you may need a kit.

Frankly I wouldn't mess about, get a sensor and put it outside on a North or West facing wall. If you can't do that if it's South or East mount it high up under a soffitt where the sun will never reach it as even on a cold, cold day the suns radiation will fool it into thinking it is warmer than it actually is. Keep the sensor away from extract vents or openable windows too.

If you're going to do it, do it right if there is no wireless solution.

Thanks all for the replies I’ll go wired - hoping to save a few £ with the reduced temp and reduce carbon footprint!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back