Fitting Central Heating *now with plan*

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just got my first house, it needs alot of work, also its needs central heating fitting, it did have storage heaters!

Now i wish to give everything a go to keep down costs and learn how to do stuff, so i'm thinking of running from where the combi boiler will be and fitting all the pipes for radiators. I have moved radiators around the room before so have a little know on soldering and bending pipes etc but nothing on this scale!

What do people think about this, should i go for it?? any tips? i was thinking of using the pre-solder joins, the ones that just need heating up to hopefully make it easier and tidyer! :D

Sponsored Links
If you want a proper job doing get an rgi in.

you more likely won't once you have called a plumber cause you have piped it wrong, or flooded the house, or burnt it down.

Sponsored Links
this is why i have come on and asked for tips and stuff so not to get it wrong, everyone has to start somewhere!! :D

All im doing to the pipes for the radiators, the house has all the ceilings removed so upstairs would be pretty easy and downstairs has floorboards, i will be getting a plumber in to fit boiler etc!

Ther is a grant of £275 towards a full CH system available for anyone having storage heaters removed and the system being fitted by a RGI registered on the grant scheme.

Cant get the grant, ive tried, they only want to give it the doh seekers and such like

You will find lots of information on central heating layouts, pipework, specifications etc by doing a Google. Your local library will also have publications etc. Pipework and radiator suppliers will also advise on many aspects of central heating design and layout.
If you are a practical DIYer, modern plumbing pipework is quite simple to install but, some practice at soldered and compression joints, is advisable before you attempt your final installation. Good luck and, as you say, you have to start somewhere and, of course, installing the radiators and pipework etc, yourself, without the constraints of time, will save you a great deal of money.

You don't get the grant. The installer does and passes it on to you. It doesn't have to be appied for, it is automatic.

You will find lots of information on central heating layouts, pipework, specifications etc by doing a Google. Your local library will also have publications etc. Pipework and radiator suppliers will also advise on many aspects of central heating design and layout.
If you are a practical DIYer, modern plumbing pipework is quite simple to install but, some practice at soldered and compression joints, is advisable before you attempt your final installation. Good luck and, as you say, you have to start somewhere and, of course, installing the radiators and pipework etc, yourself, without the constraints of time, will save you a great deal of money.

Thank you, a helpful reply, i have had a look at a few diagrams and it does seem quite simple once you get your head around them.

I will be re-plumbing the outside toilet as a bit of a practice at soldering etc!

As the boys say unless you have a clue about what you are doing its will be a false economy

sorry fella

:)

You don't get the grant. The installer does and passes it on to you. It doesn't have to be appied for, it is automatic.

I was thinking of the wrong one then, there is on the government does, i will have to look into this one!

Dont forget knowing how to notch out rafters and make good damage to floorboards and a hundred other related things that would need seeing to other than a compression or end fitting.

Dont forget knowing how to notch out rafters and make good damage to floorboards and a hundred other related things that would need seeing to other than a compression or end fitting.

I have thought about this, on long runs of pipes i was going to run along with the rafters to cut down on the notching them out, as the ceilings are down, upstairs can be done without removing alot of the floorboards, maybe near to where i want the rad's, etc

I understand its not just about soldering and bending, the house is fully-striped at the mo, it also needs re-wiring which is another kettle of fish!

I do have 1 time on my side and that is time, as im not living in it and not in a rush to get in it! :D

Well you asked if we thought it was a good idea.

Most of us say that it isnt but thats not what you wanted to hear is it.

if you are happy with doing it, why bother seeking the approval of a few cyber plumbers? go for it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back