Fitting Central Heating *now with plan*

Re-read the original posting. The enquirer is asking, on a DIY site, for guidance on the simple procedure of running central heating pipework and hanging radiators. Many contributors have given a wealth of information and, from the postings, he should have enough information to carry out, what he wants to do, ie, that part of the project, which he can safely do, in order to save himself some money. Modern plumbing pipework is hardly high tech and is well within the scope of a competent DIYer.

Sponsored Links
As said, from the start all i'm thinking of doing is running and fitting the pipes for rads and hanging rads, at no point did i say i wanna fit the boiler or muck about with gas what so ever!!

Some very good, helpful replys, i have had a mate of mate round who is a plumber to also give me some hints and tips, he said use plastic pipe where you cant see aswel, he recons its got a longer life span than copper!!!

His comment was very valid, your explanation was absolute tripe mate tbh, people have posted feedback on the best and *safest* way top perform the task, little plumbing experience and this could turn very nasty. Don't mess around get it done right.

And if it was a simple task of just running pipes and hanging rads, a lot more installers would be out of business.

More the way he said it wonderboy :LOL:

Which bits of my post were tripe exactly ? Apart from the air-test ? Seems a bit dangerous to me but the guys that did my system did an air-test followed by a water test.

Sponsored Links
Right lads after some research and getting a plumber who is willing to fit boiler, gas meter, etc after! I have done a rough plan on the computer of pipe work etc, want to know what you think and any mistakes you see:

plan2.gif

Like i say its only a rough one, also still unsure weather to use plastic pipe or not!

Hi TurboPez, ya your drawing looks good, take 22mm from the combi and branch of to your rads in 15mm, pull 90deg bends that will go through the floors or ceilings in copper, a meter of copper from and too the boiler, clip the pipes in ceiling or under floors, with drawings a monkey could fit a heating system, some people will help you, while others that plumb for a job, will think there above the DIYer, thats human nature Im afraid. good luck.

Yes i will be using 22mm pipe from boiler and have 15mm running off to rad's, also 22mm going upstairs and 15mm to rads again!

Cheers for saying plan was good, took me a good hour, haha :D :D

I'm just about to do a very simillar project.

Where did you (or where should you) put your gate valves (and stop value for mains)?

Just a quick thought - if you're going to fun plastic under the floorboards, with copper up to the rads, won't you have to earth bond every single rad pipe to maintain continuity?

NO. Supplementry bonding is not required to metal parts supplied by plastic pipes.

hey everybody can learn .you must know how handy you are read a few books then decide for yourself.plenty of self taught guys out there who can do a good job.just leave all gas work n boiler to the gas guys.and no its not rocket science

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back