Fitting Central Heating *now with plan*

i was thinking of using the pre-solder joins

:eek: You still need to know the basics of soldering a joint, they may have solder inside but you still need to clean the pipe, use flux, and a lot of people still touch up with solder as well to make sure... so it's not just a walk in the park.

As it's been said get an rgi in, you then have insurance if anything should go wrong, hang the rads if you want to save some money and let them pipe up to them.

Sponsored Links
I've just done this and my previous experience was a few pipework alterations, new radiator fit and use of pre-soldered joints.

The first step was to do some research and plan the pipework. I replaced a single pipe, open vented, system (loop under each floor), with a dual pipe system that supplied downstairs with pipe drops (concrete floors downstairs). I had the boiler changed to a combi boiler, as a result the system was very simple to design and understand.

Next was to get an RGI round to make sure he was happy to install and commission the boiler if I did the rest. He advised I should use hep20 under the floorboards and copper for exposed pipework, so I did. All the soldering work was in accessible places, so it wasn't that difficult to make a solid joint with end feed fittings.

I was nowhere near as quick as a professional, but I believe I was more careful seeing as time wasn't much of a factor.

As for costs, it was cheaper, assuming I value my time as free - which I do as overall I enjoyed doing it. You'll save the day/hourly rate of paying someone else to do the work, but you can probably source some materials cheaper as well. All the professionals I know don't get time to scour ebay (or online merchants) looking for bargains and buy from builders merchants at trade prices instead.

As I see it, you've got to start somewhere. The worst you can do is make a complete hash and have to pay someone else to fix it, but you'll have learnt so much even doing that.

If you make a plan of your new system some of these kind cyber plumbers may even correct any potential mistakes ;)

Hi there,

Must admit I'm quite surprised by the negative comments on this one as the guys on here are usually pretty helpful for people trying to give it a go

Not done much plumbing myself but have just been following the guys who put our new heating in and the bulk of it doesn't look too hard...

Could use plastic pipe for all under floor and hidden pipes - push fit looks dead easy (buy a proper cutter, use the inserts and check its fully inserted), don't bend the pipes too much - but can then have continuous pipe runs with no joints

Then bring copper up to the rads - which are compression joints anyway

Box in exposed pipework - then can use plastic for almost all of it (not too close to the boiler !)

You can air pressure test the system to check for leaks - I think you can just use a bike foot pump with a gauge ;)

Given that you'll need to get the boiler installed anyway - how about getting a few quotes for that bit - and then get the guy involved with the planning of the rest - and then you do the work ? People are generally pretty helpful if asked for advice

Finally it may be worth getting 2 sets of quotes. 1 for the boiler only and another for the whole system - You can then price the components and work out how much money you'll actually save

If you have time - go for it !

And have fun with it - its all part of life's experience...!

stevebamford

All that Diy advice, and you didn't have a fu*K*ng clue how safely devalue your own property.

God only knows what insurance companies would make of these so called botched diy cockups.

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid I agree that unless you know what you are doing a complete install is a big task. I personally wouldn't touch a job to install a boiler on a system which has been fitted using limited knowledge and a bit help from the net. Far too many probs to be had, you would spend more time fixing the mistakes. IMO stick to hanging the rads and leave the rest to a heating engineer, even that could cause probs if you don't use the correct fittings for the wall type etc, been to a few jobs where people have tried to hang new rads and end up with them off the wall and a large wet patch.

Sorry to sound negative but don't see the point in doing half a job mate

TurboPez

I did what you want to do. But, and this is the key, you need to find an RGI who is willing to install and commission your boiler including the flue and the meter to boiler gas pipework.

Once you have him, explain what you want to do and he may help you out with the planning side.

That is what my RGI did, and it took me 10 days to do all the runs, rads, alterations to the main feeds etc. When the RGI came to fit the boiler I had one leak only, on a rad. He was well happy with my work. I saved myself a couple of grand and learnt a lot. I also practised my soldering before I attacked the wetwork on the system. Mines been in a year now and so far, touch wood, no probs. :D

If you are reasonably competent, and are pretty meticulous you shouldn't have any probs. Just take it slow and check check check all your work.

stevebamford

All that Diy advice, and you didn't have a fu*K*ng clue how safely devalue your own property.

God only knows what insurance companies would make of these so called botched diy cockups.

ah Gremlin - what a pleasant comment!

Its all time versus money isn't it. I had no time but could afford it while the OP is trying to save money but has the time

I don't really see whats so hard about running pipes and connecting to rads?

I've just done this and my previous experience was a few pipework alterations, new radiator fit and use of pre-soldered joints.

The first step was to do some research and plan the pipework. I replaced a single pipe, open vented, system (loop under each floor), with a dual pipe system that supplied downstairs with pipe drops (concrete floors downstairs). I had the boiler changed to a combi boiler, as a result the system was very simple to design and understand.

Next was to get an RGI round to make sure he was happy to install and commission the boiler if I did the rest. He advised I should use hep20 under the floorboards and copper for exposed pipework, so I did. All the soldering work was in accessible places, so it wasn't that difficult to make a solid joint with end feed fittings.

I was nowhere near as quick as a professional, but I believe I was more careful seeing as time wasn't much of a factor.

As for costs, it was cheaper, assuming I value my time as free - which I do as overall I enjoyed doing it. You'll save the day/hourly rate of paying someone else to do the work, but you can probably source some materials cheaper as well. All the professionals I know don't get time to scour ebay (or online merchants) looking for bargains and buy from builders merchants at trade prices instead.

As I see it, you've got to start somewhere. The worst you can do is make a complete hash and have to pay someone else to fix it, but you'll have learnt so much even doing that.

If you make a plan of your new system some of these kind cyber plumbers may even correct any potential mistakes ;)

Cheers mate, im just research pipe layouts, etc and then think more carefully about it!

ah Gremlin - what a pleasant comment!

Its all time versus money isn't it. I had no time but could afford it while the OP is trying to save money but has the time

I don't really see whats so hard about running pipes and connecting to rads?

His comment was very valid, your explanation was absolute tripe mate tbh, people have posted feedback on the best and *safest* way top perform the task, little plumbing experience and this could turn very nasty. Don't mess around get it done right.

And if it was a simple task of just running pipes and hanging rads, a lot more installers would be out of business.

I thought this was a D.I.Y. forum! :D :D

I just looking into it, i came on here for help and i'm reading all the reply's, i've always said i will any thing ago once aand if i muck it up i will have to get someone who knows what their.

I do agree with
diy_darren when he said "but I believe I was more careful" than a tradesman because time is on my hands! :D :D

I say go for it, you do not need a RGI to do the plumbing, most of the corgi guys i know have little knowledge of actual plumbing (running water pipes etc) Depending on the house you have you would either use a 22 mm run with tees coming off to the rads or use a manifold and a microbore system.

If you don't have much experience soldering and doing compression joints then going for something like John Guest speed-fit or HEP20 with plastic 10 mm pipe for the rads and use manifolds. Doing it this way cuts down the amount of joints you have to make and thus the likely hood of leaks. Keep the manifolds accessible until you know its all running ok.

If its a combi you plan to have fitted then it makes it easier too. Open vent systems require more thought.

You will save a fortune doing it yourself, we typically try to install a whole system in 2 days using the 3 guys in a 2 up 2 down. It might take you a couple of weeks.

If you're determined to DIY, please make sure you learn some theory and get some practice first. You'll need to be able to determine the heat loss from each room in order to know what size radiator you'll need. And know what allowances to make for different flow and return temperatures. Can you use a pipe bender to make accurate offset bends? Can you reliably solder an end feed fitting? What about when it's pointing downward, in a dark corner next to some very combustible timber? Do you know how to make allowances for thermal expansion of pipes? Do you know roughly how many metres of water equivalent a bar of pressure is? Do you know roughly how much heat you can transport through a certain size pipe?

These are the kind of things you will need to have at least a little knowledge of. There's probably a lot more, seeing as I am a DIYer not a professional.

If you're going to DIY with your central heating, you need to at least be honest with yourself about your chances of bodging it. It is possible not to, but it's not an easy or simple job.

My advice would be, unless you really can't afford it, get a professional in. And hold back with the plastic pipework!

First plumbing job I ever did was changing a ball valve

Second plumbing job I ever did was installing my own central heating!

1. Go to a plumbers merchant, buy some plastic pipe and fittings, and a length of copper pipe and some fittings, some solder and some flux. If there's a screwfix near you, use them - they're the cheapest.

2. Practise - it'll take you quite a few fittings to get used to them, putting the right amount of heat on etc.

3. Call some local gas installers BEFORE you buy any boilers/rads, explain what you want to do. He might want to supply the boiler etc himself. A lot won't be interested or will give you stupid quotes to put you off.

4. Search the internet for radiator size calculators - they ask about the size of your rooms, do you have double glazing etc and tell you what size of rad to get.

5. All the merchants do "Heatpacks" which include rads, valves, and boiler. Get one of these deals if you can - they're a better price than plumbcenter or whoever will give you normally. But check with the boiler guy first - he might not be happy with you buying the boiler. Mine was as he knew it was a new boiler from a local plumbcenter - they want to know its not an Ebay special.

5. It took me a week to install all the rads. I paid £550 to my gas installer for two days work and parts - this was hanging + comissioning the boiler, installing new gas pipe, and fixing the two leaks I had.

6. I (like the vast majority of new installations) used plastic pipe where it can't be seen (under floorboards) and copper where it can. Whatever people argue about here, this is what all the newbuilds and almost all the new installations use.

Oh, and end feed v. solder ring (they call them Yorkshire fittings). I wouldn't bother with solder ring, I ended up putting in extra solder "To make sure" so I needn't have spent the extra money on them.

Your not looking for help.... your asking us how its done! You havent explained the output you need, type of sytem, type of boiler, how you plan the RGI to hang the boiler, flue considerations, building regs and gas pipe route.

Perhaps if you came back with a bit more thought other that "Im gonna do me own central heating" we may offer more advise. This is not DIY territory and if you had approached me with this attitude I would have said in RGI terms "Im very sorry sir, but I cannot help you".

David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back