Fitting compression flexi pipe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This may sound obvious to the educated, so dont shoot me down, but is there an easy way to tell the difference between 15mm copper and the 1/2" (think 1/2" is the alternative)?

I'm changing one very soon, and dont want to buy and try to fit the wrong type and cause a flood because its blown off.
Would a 15mm olive not fit on the 1/2" or vice versa so i know its the right type.

The house was built 60's/70's if that makes a difference what type may be used.

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I haven't found an easy way of telling the difference, but the difference is usually so little that 15mm COMPRESSION fittings generally fit 1/2" Imperial pipe quite nicely. Most just tend to be just a bit tight to fit the olive over the pipe, but a bit of emery paper usually solves that one.

There are exceptions - some 1/2" tube was made with a heavier gauge wall, with an appreciably bigger outside diameter.

If the pipe fits into the full depth of the fitting, and you can get an olive onto the pipe, it will make a sound joint - unless it is a cheap and nasty fitting, some of which can't even make a reliable joint on the correct sized pipe!

If you have problems, there are 1/2" olives available that fit straight into 15mm fittings.

I would not attempt to use PUSH-FIT fittings if there is any possibility the pipe is 1/2". Push-fit relies on the tube being made to tightly defined tolerances to grip the pipe properly.

15 mm fittings go on 1/2" pipe without any problem, as long as you deburr and clean all corrosion/limescale off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back