Fitting door handles to French doors

Sponsored Links
1) I don't think the handles are the main problem

2) you need a rebated latch, which accomodates overlapping double doors. Presumably you threw the old one away.

3) you need to measure the rebate. I expect it was in one of the common sizes. Yours was a tubular mortice latch with rebate. Unless you are skilled with a very sharp chisel, try to get the exact same one. If you are in UK it might have been Legge or Union. The rebate ends can be added as an accessory to a standard latch. You need to measure the precise length of the backset from centre of handle spindle hole to front of latch.

4) here are some examples from a major supplier. The Altro ones are very high quality.

4) the same company has a vast selection of door handles. I suggest Knob on Plate or Latch Lever on Plate.

John

Thanks so much for your detailed and helpful reply. Lots to unpack here.

You're absolutely right - all the old parts were thrown out at time of doing the job and I've probably learned a lesson there.

I'm fairly skilled with the chisel as I have already had to retrofit 5 other 'standard' door in the house and have found that some good wood filler and paint can go a long way to make up for any minor indiscretions.

I'm going to work through the process you've described but this may not be the last you hear from me.

Cheers buddy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back