New French doors handle stiff to open and shut

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently had new French doors fitted. Was previously a tilt and slide. Had pvc put in. French doors with side panels. It looks so much better and modern. However the guys installing had a nightmare as the opening was wonky. But it looks brilliant and you wouldn't tell it wasn't straight forward

However the door seems to me to require a bit of strength to lock and unlock as in pulling the handle fully up and fully down. The kids can't do it. That maybe a bonus haha I have however worked out if I pull at the same time it seems easier. I've greased the locking pins that come out up but it's no better. I noticed from the outside until the handle is pulled all the way up the door at the top sticks out a little. If I push and pull the handle it goes up. Is their anything I could do to make this easier. I've heard hinges can be adjusted using an Alan key to align the doors better? Its something I can put up with but annoying when they're new

Sponsored Links
If the what have any adjustment? I can upload some pictures in the morning

Quickest way to see if its an issue that can be solved with ' adjustment '... try each door open , if operating the handles fully up and down is fairly troublesome free then the door sashes will need to be adjusted , either on the hinges ( post a pic of hinges and people can advise how to adjust ) , or potentially the glass will need toe and heeling correctly BUT , if it was fitted by a company , get them back to adjust it , its warranty work. You don't want to invalidate any warranty by trying to do it yourself

Sponsored Links
Your 100% right it is warranty work. The kids can't open the door. When you close it and lift it up to lock it can be stiff but isn't as bad. To open the door it takes a bit of strength. The kids aren't strong enough which is obviously no good so I have emailed the company. If I don't hear nothing I will ring Monday. It looks when shut as if the top of the door isn't like all the way back so it seems something is misaligned

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back