Fitting door lining to knock through.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've been left the job of fitting the door lining into a ground floor knock through. It looks a bit rough to me and although doing the actual work isn't a problem, I'm a bit lost about where to start.
As can be seen, the cut walls don't line up and there is precious little holding up one end of the outside lintel, which was over a window originally, shown at the top of pic 26. First pic no.15, 2nd is no. 26 bottom, 3rd no. 26 top, 4th is opposite side of doorway.
I wonder if I should tooth out one leaf on each side to build out and even up the walls, this would give an opening of about 33"wide. Presumably when I get the walls evened out I'd make a lining with timber about 300mm wide x 25mm to cover both leaves of the cavity wall. Would fitting the lining be easier if I lay a bit of flooring in the doorway first?. Someone has suggested closing the cavities behind the lining with suitable sized timber covered in DPM, is this a normal practice?.
Any comments or suggestions gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
I'd be thinking about building up to support the lintel, plus the size door you are putting in needs to be taken in to considerartion.
You can buy pre manufactured door frames/liners, standard door widths are 762 and 686mm plus the addition of the width of the liner will give you an idea of the size of the gap to be left.
Do put your floor down before fixing the liner though.

Sponsored Links
Don’t know the nature of your involvement here but to say that’s a rough job would be an understatement; whoever did it has created far more work than would normallly be required when opening up al window to form the door. The lintel must retain a bearing of at least 150mm each side to comply with Building Regs. so that need to be put right. Dog tooth new brickwork in as you suggest back to the original opening size; if it needs to be any wider, a new, wider lintel will almost certainly be required & that’s subject to Building Regs. & inspection.

With regard to the cavity, I’m assuming part of the wall is still external & open to the elements. If so the cavity must be closed with a thermal damp proof barrier around the opening as you say; a proprietary cavity closer is probably the easiest way of closing the cavity & then either render & plaster over that or fix a double layer of plaster board over it & skim. Assuming a door is to be fitted, you need to work to a standard size door & fitting an off the shelf door liner is the easiest way; you could fit a full width timber liner but it’s a bit amateurish & I’m unsure it would comply with Building Regs. it would also look a bit strange IMO. The floor cavity needs to be finished with a full width damp proof membrane overlapping the cavity & both brick courses to prevent moisture getting into the floor.

Can’t tell the height of the extension from the photos but I assume that whoever built it has put a cavity tray above the roof line if part of the original wall is still exposed. If not there is a real possibility that what was the outer wall could be a source of damp.

RichardC,
Having read and digested your post and then spent some time just looking at the situation this morning, it no longer seems to be quite the disaster it was yesterday, just going to be a lot more work than necessary.
It was done by a young labourer who is normally pretty good but fell off the wagon a bit before he went in on his own to do this knock through. Lucky he didn't drop the lintel on himself or cut his foot off with the Stihl saw. I'm the house owner and the extension has been put up by a bunch of tradesman friends who have done a really great job, I'm doing second fix and loads of other boring bits.
As you and Prenticeboy suggest, I'll build up the really bad side, tidy up the other and take it from there. I'll have to wait for the sparky and plumber to rough out their jobs before i can get the floors down and start fixing the lining.
Once again a cloud has developed a silver lining thanks to you guys giving your time to provide help and food for thought to others much less experienced.
Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back