Knocking through a stud-wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I want to knock a double-doorway through between two bedrooms; I'm not going to fit a door - just have a passage between the two rooms as the smaller one will be used as a dressing room.

My rudimentary 'tapping' of the wall suggests it's a stud wall (which I believe to be plasterboard nailed to a timber frame.

What's the best way to knock through? Is it as simple as hammer a hole through the centre - check for wires, etc then use a jigsaw??

Ta

Simon

Sponsored Links
Although I've never knocked a hole in an existing stud wall, I've built a few new ones & you will probably be better off using an ordinary rip saw; it’s quicker, less dust & will give straighter cuts. Removing a section of the plasterboard on one side first so you can see how it's constructed & you may want to adjust the position of the opening to at least line up with one of the vertical supports but it’ll be a case of suck it & see. I would remove the plasterboard back to, say, 300mm each side of the opening (or back to an existing board joint) to give better access as you will have to remove the horizontal noggins which could be fun depending on weather they have been screwed or nailed! You will also have to let in new support timber around at least part of the opening to provide support & give you something to line & plaster on the reveal. As you say, watch out for cables & I would cut rather than using hammer blows as this is likely to cause cracks along the line of the board joints.

MARK OUT WHERE YOU WANT YOUR OPENING, ON ONE SIDE OFF WALL,CHECK WITH MULTI SENSOR FOR WIRES,PLUMING E.C.T. IF YOU DONT HAVE ONE KNOCK HOLE IN CENTER WITH HAMMER. I.E.30CM BY 30CM.ON SAME SIDE GET A TORCH. CHECK FOR WIRES E.C.T. VERTICAL TIMBERS SHOULD BE 62.5CM APART . CUT LEFT OR RIGHT MARK THIS OUT FIRST. CUT TO ABOUT 2CM AWAY FROM ONE OFF VERTICAL TIMBERS.THEN CUT VERTICALLY USE LEVEL TO MARK THIS OUT. IF THIS IS NOT WERE YOU PLANNED .TO HAVE ONE SIDE OFF YOUR OPENING.IT WOULD BE EASIER TO IT MAKE SO.AS YOU WILL ONLY HAVE ONE VERTICAL TIMBER TO REMOVE.REPEAT PROCESS SAME SIDE OF WALL ON OTHER SIDE OF CENTER VERTICAL TIMBER. USE A JAB SAW FOR WORK SO FAR. :LOL:CUT A LONG TOP OF BOARD BOTH SIDES TO CENTER TIMBER AND AT BOTTOM ABOUT 4CM FROM FLOOR I.E. ABOVE TIMBER. PULL PLASTER BOARD OFF.USE SQUARE FROM THIS SIDE TO MARK OTHER SIDE OFF OPENING ON INNER SIDE OFF WALL AND CUT AWAY.PS IF SKIRTING STILL IN PLACE CUT BOARD OFF JUST ABOVE. , CUT AWAY TIMBER FROM OPENING.BOTTOM TIMBER SKIRTING CAN B CUT IN LINE WITH VERTICAL CUTS IN BOARD. CUT AND SCREW NEW BOARD TO BOTH SIDES OFF OPENINGTO FIT IN BETWEEN THE 2CMM OF BOARD .CUT ECCESS OF BOTH SIDES WITH HAND SAW. FIT TIMBERS IN SPACES ABOVE IN LINE WITHBOARD SUGGEST U SCREW THROUGH BOARD FIRST. THEN TIMBER TO TIMBER.SCREW ON NEW BOARDTO WIDTH OF WALL. GET IT PLASTERED HPE THIS HELPS GOOD LUCK :)

Sponsored Links
MARK OUT WHERE YOU WANT YOUR OPENING, ON ONE SIDE OFF WALL,CHECK WITH MULTI SENSOR FOR WIRES,PLUMING E.C.T. IF YOU DONT HAVE ONE KNOCK HOLE IN CENTER WITH HAMMER. I.E.30CM BY 30CM.ON SAME SIDE GET A TORCH. CHECK FOR WIRES E.C.T. VERTICAL TIMBERS SHOULD BE 62.5CM APART . CUT LEFT OR RIGHT MARK THIS OUT FIRST. CUT TO ABOUT 2CM AWAY FROM ONE OFF VERTICAL TIMBERS.THEN CUT VERTICALLY USE LEVEL TO MARK THIS OUT. IF THIS IS NOT WERE YOU PLANNED .TO HAVE ONE SIDE OFF YOUR OPENING.IT WOULD BE EASIER TO IT MAKE SO.AS YOU WILL ONLY HAVE ONE VERTICAL TIMBER TO REMOVE.REPEAT PROCESS SAME SIDE OF WALL ON OTHER SIDE OF CENTER VERTICAL TIMBER. USE A JAB SAW FOR WORK SO FAR. :LOL:CUT A LONG TOP OF BOARD BOTH SIDES TO CENTER TIMBER AND AT BOTTOM ABOUT 4CM FROM FLOOR I.E. ABOVE TIMBER. PULL PLASTER BOARD OFF.USE SQUARE FROM THIS SIDE TO MARK OTHER SIDE OFF OPENING ON INNER SIDE OFF WALL AND CUT AWAY.PS IF SKIRTING STILL IN PLACE CUT BOARD OFF JUST ABOVE. , CUT AWAY TIMBER FROM OPENING.BOTTOM TIMBER SKIRTING CAN B CUT IN LINE WITH VERTICAL CUTS IN BOARD. CUT AND SCREW NEW BOARD TO BOTH SIDES OFF OPENINGTO FIT IN BETWEEN THE 2CMM OF BOARD .CUT ECCESS OF BOTH SIDES WITH HAND SAW. FIT TIMBERS IN SPACES ABOVE IN LINE WITHBOARD SUGGEST U SCREW THROUGH BOARD FIRST. THEN TIMBER TO TIMBER.SCREW ON NEW BOARDTO WIDTH OF WALL. GET IT PLASTERED HPE THIS HELPS GOOD LUCK :)

THIS TOPIC IS 2 YEARS OLD FFS :rolleyes: ; & turn your caps lock off! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back