Fitting electrical points in a hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have just fitted a hob where there were 2 points for live, and they needed to be joined. I used 2 pieces of 1mm copper wire, unsheathed to connect the 2 lives. Is this an acceptable way of doing this or what is the correct way please?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Are you referring to the connection block at the bottom of the hob?

If so, the answer is no, this is not acceptable.

Links are usually provided.

Usually tucked inside the connection block somewhere.

Appologies if I have misunderstood your post.

Yes the connection block is what I mean. Thanks guys, I will have a look in the pack to see where the link is.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Oh - one other thing, the oven is on the ring main. Is a 13amp fuse correct? It is a single door oven.
Thanks

Yes the connection block is what I mean. Thanks guys, I will have a look in the pack to see where the link is.

Cheers

Sometimes they are tucked into the connection box itself.

Usually it will come with a 13A plug if it is suitable for a 13A socket.

What does the rating plate (on the bottom?) say.
Or tell us the make and model.

PS. You can always use the EDIT button to add something
;)

No plug, plus the provenance of the oven probably means that it cannot be plugged into a socket.

You'll probably need to get an electrician to provide a supply for it - probably 16A, but all these probablys can be resolved if you tell us what the rating of the oven is. Information like "Class A" or "Energy consumption with a standard load, pastry function: 0.91 kWh" is a bit like asking "how much will it cost me to fill the petrol tank in this car" and being told "it does 35mpg". i.e. ******* useless.

I wonder why they are so reluctant to say whet the max load is? It is quite likely to be about 3 kW. There ought to be a makers plate, possibly round the back, that specifies its electrical requiremnts

not all countries have our wonderful 13A plug and wonderful Ring circuit

No plug, plus the provenance of the oven probably means that it cannot be plugged into a socket.

You'll probably need to get an electrician to provide a supply for it - probably 16A, but all these probablys can be resolved if you tell us what the rating of the oven is. Information like "Class A" or "Energy consumption with a standard load, pastry function: 0.91 kWh" is a bit like asking "how much will it cost me to fill the petrol tank in this car" and being told "it does 35mpg". i.e. ******* useless.

Hmm. I have never seen a hob with a pastry function. How would that work??

Sometimes the oven rating plate is on the edge of the door jamb, so you can read it by just opening the oven door instead of dragging a fitted oven back out of the unit it's installed in.

1mm T+E can carry 16A clipped direct, so probably a bit more if not insulated but lets stick with 16A for arguments sake..
so 2 pieces should be good for 32A..
given that the hob is split into 2 then that's 2 rings and possibly a bit of electronics for a timer etc..

as said, the proper link should be there somewhere

like this one circled in red..

View media item 9113

Sometimes the oven rating plate is on the edge of the door jamb, so you can read it by just opening the oven door instead of dragging a fitted oven back out of the unit it's installed in.

People, please stop and look at the title of the thread. He has not got an oven, it has not got a door, its a blooming HOB!!!!

I've (eventually) seen links tucked into the earth connection and the cable clamp fixing, so have a good look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back