Fitting electrical shower in Scotland with regards to Part P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, The boss has decided an electric shower is needed in the bathroom. I have suggested a mixer will be cheaper and easier but that doesnt fit in with her plans :rolleyes: so electric it is.
I havent been in the UK for a long while and everyone is talking about Part P for such an installation. From what I gather, I need to inform someone (Who?) what I want to do, do the work, then get it inspected (who again, and how much?)
Thing is....a few people have told me that these laws arent applicable to Scotland yet. Is this true?

The plan is as follows..any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.
Typically the bathroom is at the opposite corner of the house to the consumer unit, but as the rest of the house is scheduled for redecoration :rolleyes: I will be able to conceal the wiring ok.
From the shower location, I will be using 10mm cable, fitted into a vertical groove in the wall (to be tiled over). Under the bath, (p-clips on the floor) and through the bathroom wall. Vertically up inside the wall to a shower switch outside the door. From there horizontally in the walls. Fortunately, all walls concerned and plaster partition walls so fitting the cable in a groove cut into the plaster will be easy. The cable will be p-clipped at each wooden support.
All the way round to the hall cupboard where the consumer unit is.
Now, the existing unit has no spare capacity so the plan is thus....the wee wire security seal thing has been missing off the main fuse in the supply to the house, allowing the entire installation to be disconnected. Its always been like this since she moved in. I plan to cut the wires between the meter and the old consumer unit, and using suitibly rated junction boxes, join in new wires to a secondary consumer unit with RCD and mcb specifically for the shower, also giving a bit of spare capacity for future work. The earthing will be joined to the existing earth contact next to the old consumer unit.
Any flaws with the plan?
I assume this would come under the part-p regulations (if they exist in scotland) if so should I leave the walls unplastered untill its all been expected?
Any other tips?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The good news is that part P is only applicable in England and Wales
The bad news however is there are building regulations in scotland that govern electrical work that actually pre-date part P
The second good news is that what you want to do is 'non-notifiable'* as long as your home is a house(as opposed to a flat) and doesn't have more than two floors, and the work doesn't also include structural work such as removing walls

*for want of a better way of saying you dont need to involve LABC for the electrical, drainage may be a different game

oh, ok.
Yes, its a house, its a single-storey bungalow with extension. The house is very old and the extension dates from the 70`s Id guess. The Bathroom is in the extension.

Absolutely nothing structural at all, just running the wire. The electric shower unit is to make a shower over the existing bath.

Thanks,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back