Fitting Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all

Im planing on fitting a new electric shower for a friend soon. theres no existing cable or shower at present so will all be new.

I plan to do all the pipework and electric work, ecept for actually hooking it up to the consumer unit. ie Ill fit the shower run the cable to a suitable isolation switch and the up to the consumer unit and get a spark to fit the required rcd/fuse and test it.

My quistion in whats the best cable to use, I dont know what size of shower hes wanting yet so was just planning on running cable thik enough for 9.5 - 10kw. with maybe a 10m run from end to end?

and out of curiosity, what does an electritian actual need to do at the box to hook in a new circuit?

cheers

Sponsored Links
ScottishGasMan said:
My quistion in whats the best cable to use, I dont know what size of shower hes wanting yet so was just planning on running cable thik enough for 9.5 - 10kw. with maybe a 10m run from end to end?
The best cable to use is the safest one. The gauge depends on some things you haven't mentioned yet, like the type of protective device at the consumer unit, and the surroundings of the cable over its entire length.

...out of curiosity, what does an electritian actual need to do at the box to hook in a new circuit?
I can't help but wonder if you're curious because you're thinking of doing it yourself. Are you?

lol, no no, I know my trade and i stick to it. But i like to learn as much as i can in general so I know whats what when Im talking to other trades people etc.

I even had to pay a spark last week to come and check the light in my bedroom (and tell me it was fine) cos i was worried I couldnt run 200w through the wires to it (halogen bulbs) when i replaced the 40w strip light that was there lol.

By protective device do you mean whether its fuse wire or rcd or is there another level of protection on it?

and by surroundings of the cable do you mean where its being run? as this one will probably go striaght down from the shower under the floor to the unit. as for some reason its in the kitchen in the middle of the house with all the wiring comming up from the tiled floor.

thanks again

ScottishGasMan said:
I even had to pay a spark last week to come and check the light in my bedroom (and tell me it was fine) cos i was worried I couldnt run 200w through the wires to it (halogen bulbs) when i replaced the 40w strip light that was there lol.
Um, okaaay, but with the very little electrical knowledge you have is it a good idea for to install the cable for your friend? :eek:

By protective device do you mean whether its fuse wire or rcd or is there another level of protection on it?
Please don't think as those two as "levels" of protection - they have entirely different functions. But you're half-right because I was thinking about whether or not the fuses were rewireable.

and by surroundings of the cable do you mean where its being run?
Yes.

as this one will probably go striaght down from the shower under the floor to the unit. as for some reason its in the kitchen in the middle of the house with all the wiring comming up from the tiled floor.
OK, but be aware that the key things are to (a) choose a gauge of cable that can carry the current needed for the shower, and (b) not lay the cable where insulating factors would prevent heat from escaping from the cable.

In England the work you're planning is notifiable under the Building Regulations. Do you have an equivalent law in Scotland?

Sponsored Links
Im not actually aware if the law is inforce here yet, it will be, but im unsure if its def in yet.

Though it would be up to the electrictian to notifiy them on him connecting it to the mains, im just trying to do some of the horsework first to save my mate a little cash, if Im not sure ill just tell him ill stick to the plumbing side and we'll at least make the access nice and easy for the electritian to get it in.

cheers for all the advice softus

ScottishGasMan said:
and by surroundings of the cable do you mean where its being run? as this one will probably go striaght down from the shower under the floor to the unit. as for some reason its in the kitchen in the middle of the house with all the wiring comming up from the tiled floor.

thanks again

WHere will the local isolator switch be placed. ( most often a pull cord ceiling mounted switch to enable poser tp be turned off without having to touch the shower in the event of a fault. )

ScottishGasMan said:
Though it would be up to the electrictian to notifiy them on him connecting it to the mains...
Er, not necessarily, in England anyway. Bear in mind that there are many aspects of the installation that have to be done competently - there's more to it than you think.

...im just trying to do some of the horsework first...
I appreciate that, but it very much isn't horsework. You'd be better off finding the electrician first, letting him eyeball the job, and getting him to tell you what cable to run and what pitfalls to avoid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back