Fitting Engineered Wood (Laminate) into conservatory -advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking to lay some wood engineered laminate into our conservatory, we orginally were looking at normal laminate but went to b&q and found it on offer so went for the real-wood stuff instead.

Anyway questions

1. I assume we still need to leave a 10 mm gap on all sides, whats best to fill it up with, i've heard people mention corking rather than coving stuff, any suggestions ?

2. Whats the best tool to cut the wood, i've rather crap with hand saws, so I'm looking at either buying (a cheap) or renting a sliding mitre saw or will something else do the trick ? i've also heard laminate kills saw blades, is this the same for the real-wood stuff ?

3. Whats the "best" underlay to use, i've found either a combined 3mm thick damp course and underlay or a seperate plastic sheet and 7mm wood stuff for the underlay, which is more sutiable for a conservatory. Rather annoyingly they only seem to come in 10m squared packs and our conservatory is 4 X 3 .... so i need a pack and a little bit ...

Thanks for all the help in advance

Cheers

Andy

Sponsored Links

well I thought I would try to get as many opinions as possible ... and some recomendations from people who already have done the same job ...

I' sure you did. Try this first then:
//www.diynot.com/forums/search.php

cause it's been asked many times before.

Didn't want to offend you, but why do you imagine B&Q can offer 'offers' in proper natural wooden flooring? Cause they don't have to train their employees in anything except selling as much as possible.
For proper plumbing you get a plumber (and pay him), for proper natural wooden flooring you get a.....? (properly trained floor fitter, who is more than willing to give out practical and sound tips and advice freely, most of the time that is, but who sometimes gets grumpy)

Sponsored Links
But thats my choice, I choose to go to b&q as I am buying my first house and do not have money to spend on hiring a "properly trained floor fitter". This is also a DIY website as far as I can tell, which is why I was asking for some advice on doing it myself.

I have also actively used the search facility, which is why I now understand I need underlay and a damp proof membrane of some sort on concreate floors and which direction is best to lay the flooring. However I could not find a recomendation on if its best to rent a good power tool or buy a cheap one, nor exactly which one is best for my particular job. However if I have missed posts that do show this I would be more than greatful if you could post a link.

Anyway, thank you for your input I will keep looking and hopefully end up with a great floor, and a new skill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back