Fitting Feather Edge Board (Roof / Sides)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi;

I am making a Triangular Log Store and have completed the base and the rectangular frames for the sides. The basic structure is now up and I now want to lay Feather Edge Boards down the sides to prevent rain on the wood.

Having a little difficulty working out the best way to lay this stuff?

1. Which way around / up does this stuff go and does it / should it overlap?

2. Should I start fitting it from the top or bottom?

3. Do you pin the top of the board and then the nails are hidden by the overlap of the next board?

If the thinner edge goes uppermost my guess is that you lay it from the bottom an nail in the top edge and then overlap the next board (by how much) to hide the nail?

The front of the Log Store will be open and the back will be slatted with gaps so the sloped sides can be covered to protect from rain?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
start at the bottom so the overlaps shed the rain outwards

if you have the thick edge on the outside it is less prone to damage

only one nail at each stud, through the thick edge or the middle of one board only. Don't nail through both boards at the overlap as it will make them crack.

If you nail through the thin edge it will split.

Many thanks. Here's how I did it:
IMAG8166_zpsths3x2lk.jpg

N.B. The Log Store is upside down so when it is the correct way up the fatter edge of the Feather is facing down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back