Fitting flexible foil duct to kitchen extractor hood...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an extractor hood cupboard. Extractor duct (plastic) was fitted to flexible foil ducting using a jubliee clip by kitchen fitters. It came as kit so it is the right size etc.
OH has been storing things in the cupboard and had managed to bash in the side of the ducting, make a small hole in it :evil: ... and also noticed that the jubilee clip didn't seem to be holding the ducting in place at the bottom - don't know if fitted like that (5 yrs ago now ) or if it is the result of being bashed...
Think will have to just tape up the hole for now (extractor pipe runs under the floorboards upstairs so a major upheaval not a quick replacement - unless there is an easy way of fitting a join in flexible ducting ? and hole is near top of cupboard so not much space to work with
Now I can't get the ducting to push back onto the plastic extractor hood pipe properly ...maybe it was never was on properly? Can only seem to get it overlap the pipe by less than a cm... I just can't get it go on further ...a really tight fit and it just stretches the ducting if I try and use enough force to get it down...would something to lubricate it - (washing up liquid) help?
The part where it fits over the duct is not extended - is that right? (thinking maybe if I squash it together further up and extend the bit right at the bottom over the pipe that will make the diameter a wee bit bigger and it will fit???? (Or maybe even cut some off?) Or will that not make a difference to the internal diameter?

I'm wondering if it is done wrong because I know the kitchen fitters were not 'experienced' (friends of friends just starting a new venture, looking to get experience ...I supposedly got a good deal but in retrospect they took a lot longer, ran into a lot of snags (some of which cost me extra) and some (minor) things are just not quite 'right'... I wouldn't do it again!!)

Sponsored Links
Bit of a pain, these flimsy ducts......consider using cable ties and/or duck tape to make the repair. There's little pressure in there so once sealed it should be ok.
By all means put a little lube around the plastic bits to help things along.
John :)

Duct tape will rot quickly with heat and grease, foil insulation tape will seal any holes.
Cable ties make the best fix for ducting. What size is duct?, you may be able to get a reducer making duct fixing easier.

I have some foil insulation tape - I'll dig it out ...and some big cable ties -
just the fact that there isn't much of an overlap..did get the clip on but it was above the plastic pipe -so not doing anything ....actually I think if I do that again and seal round with foil tape too ...should be good enough (as long OH doesn't use cupboard - or at least is more careful...
I don't know what size duct it is exactly - 110 or 125mm maybe?
Is it normal to leave it unexpanded where it goes over the plastic connection?

Sponsored Links
Definately the foil insulating tape to repair the hole.
As for fitting back over the outlet, I know it sounds silly but have you slakened the Jubilee clip as much as possible?

I've taken the jubilee clip off together and I still can't get it on fully :cry:
And I still can't find the foil tape (I know I have some somewhere...)
The hole is to the back so I won't reattach at the bottom properly until I've fixed the hole (so I can pull it out a bit to get more space if I need to ...)
Now thinking it was probably never fixed on properly in the first place... :confused:
And maybe I'll do the same but seal with foil tape as well ...
As to boxing it in - in theory we have lots of cupboard space - we shouldn't need to use it! But something I will look into doing in the future - should be pretty simple -doesn't need to look pretty!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back