1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Fitting Fluidmaster Pro75

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by NGEh, 30 Jan 2021.

1. NGEh

NGEh

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The current ballcock valve started making a “foghorn” sound during the night recently.

Looking into it, it is the valve which has aged and needs replaced. Having looked on this forum, the Fluidmaster was the recommended part for the job.
    https://www.toolstation.com/fluidmaster-12-brass-shank-valve/p92220

The instructions reference that I should be plugging the feed into it and tightening up the nut. But the feed looks like the attached photo.

Do I need to buy a new compression fitting to fit onto the feed or do I just need to screw the brass thread from the Fluidmaster into place?

thanks for the help, great forum.

Attached Files:

2. Sponsored Links
  3. NGEh

NGEh

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Added another photo

Attached Files:

4. HERTS P&D

HERTS P&D

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  5. NGEh

NGEh

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Andy, thanks but I want to do away with the float valve and fit a silent fill as we can hear the tank filling too. Should have mentioned that point, sorry. Also, the ballcock was replaced when we moved in 6 years ago and I’m surprised the plumber didn’t replace the whole thing at the time.

6. CBW

CBW

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Turn off the water, fit an isolation valve (if there’s not one already fitted), unscrew tap connector nut, undo both backnuts, fit new valve, fit new fibre washer to tap connector, making sure all remnants of old is removed, turn water on and isolation valve.

7. Sponsored Links
  8. CBW

CBW

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    This makes no sense. (n)

• Like Like x 1
  9. NGEh

NGEh

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The plumber only replaced the ballcock and metal rod. The valve wasn’t taken off and replaced. I didn’t realise this at the time and am pretty annoyed about it now. The problem had been that the bolt for the ballcock had rusted and fallen off.

Last edited: 30 Jan 2021
  10. NGEh

NGEh

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It’s the bit circled in the new attached pic which is confusing me. There’s already an isolation handle which I can turn the water off with. When I then use a spanner and turn the nut circled, the whole ballcock and valve turn with it. I stopped short of taking it off at this point as if I need to buy anything else, will have to wait until tomorrow when the shops are open.

The Fluidmaster doesn’t come with a connector to connect to the copper pipe hence asking what I need to do here. Is it a new compression fitting required?

Attached Files:

11. CBW

CBW

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It’s not a compression fitting! It’s soldered, and it’s turning because it’s tight on the brass shank. You’ll need grips to stop it turning and undo it. When you have undone it, you’ll need a fibre washer, as I said earlier to connect the new valve.

Last edited: 30 Jan 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  12. NGEh

NGEh

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Got you! Thanks! Just watched this and it all makes sense!! Thanks for the help!

• Like Like x 1
  13. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local