fitting french doors to brickwork openings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Im in the process of building an extension and at the moment im up to dpc on the external wall and a block below dpc on the inside. Im thinking ahead and have decided i would like to install some off the shelf french doors 2090 high and 1190 wide. The problem is that this size dosent fit nicely with brickwork, 5 bricks is a opening of 1125, 5 and a half is 1240 and 6 is obviously bigger, this makes no sense to me. You would think off the shelf would fit new brickwork exactly minus 5 mil each side wouldnt you? Do i just have to except 25 mil gap each side or is there a better way around this?

Sponsored Links
Hi, crewy,
The height is correct, 2100 - 10mm bed, (the bed goes over the lintol)
The width does not matter as when you position the window/door you will alter/ reverse the bond to suit.
It is normal to put the opening in the middle, or if it is off set deliberately to shift it a little to suit brickwork.
If you are concerned about moving a joint over, above DPC, it is too late to alter it now, and it wouldn't be considered important on a domestic dwelling anyway.
Come away from the reveal of the door with a brick or half bat as suits best and then put in a 3/4 bat if necessary.
you should be able to juggle it to look ok if you put the frame on and prop it with a timber and then lay the bricks dry on the DPC and see what fits best facework appearance

why don't you fit a couple of knock-on strips to the sides of the doors.

they are available in 10mm, 15mm and 20mm i think.

knock-on's are a useful way of spacing upvc away from reveals where trickle vents or internally hinged doors are concerned.

upvc suppliers/fitters use them regularly.

they stop any interference with the finished plasterwork, particularly where dabbed (thicker than float and set) plaster is concerned.

the doors must meet current standards, i.e. low 'e' glazing and trickle vents as well as toughened or safety glass units.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back