Fitting fused switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need a quick bit of help if possible.

I'm lookimg at fitting a couple of new fused switches to the immersion heater feed.

Currently I have the switch on picture 1 next to the consumer unit which is fed from an MCB. Then the line goes upstairs to the airing cupboard with the switch in picture 2.

What is best to fit for replacing both switches. Double Pole, 13A switch etc etc. More than competent to fit just not exactly sure what fuse ratings are best, and the best kind of switches.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20190930_100447.jpg
    20190930_100447.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 20190930_100501.jpg
    20190930_100501.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 74
Sponsored Links
I’m assuming that the immersion feed is protected by a 16 or 20amp MCB?
If so, all you need is a 20amp DP switch. A fuse will be pointless as the MCB will ALWAYS trip before a 13A fuse could blow.

Yes it's running off a 16amp fuse.

So would you just fit 2 DP switches in the current switch locations because I don't think the existing cable to the first switch will be long enough to pull through to the consumer unit.

Out of interest what size cable should be running for an immersion.

Thanks.

Yes it's running off a 16amp fuse.
You might like to have that investigated.

So would you just fit 2 DP switches in the current switch locations because I don't think the existing cable to the first switch will be long enough to pull through to the consumer unit.
Yes.

Out of interest what size cable should be running for an immersion.
They are normally wired in 2.5mm². If you mean it is a 16A MCB then smaller cable might do but stick to 2.5mm².

If you mean from switch to immersion you can buy heatproof flex in the DIY places which they actually call immersion heater cable.

Sponsored Links
Yes is running 2.5 off a 16amp MCB. So I'll just replace the 2 switches and probably fit a new piece of immersion cable to be sure.

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

Mike.

some old houses, had ways of turning the heater off down stairs as well as upstairs. Maybe that is the case here?
Do you use the Imm heater? or is it just for backup?

Yeah you just need 20A switches

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back