Fitting glazed panels into Victorian internal door

bax

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to fit 2 glazed panels into the top of a 4-panel Victorian door. I've looked at how to do this with an external door, but I'm not happy with the idea of just cutting the existing panels out.

As the panels just sit in the frame, would the best way be to dismantle the door and if so does anyone know how this can be done without causing any damage?

I've thought about just buying a complete replacement with the glass already in, but it's terribly expensive, hard to find the right size and the finish wouldn't then match the other doors in the house.

Any advice much appreciated! Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
bax - this is a common task and you don't have to take the door apart.

Method 1 (assumes you have a router):
router through the offending panels to remove - no real accuracy needed but securely clamped fence/guides will help. Trim/finish the apertures to the required size with the router. Re-set the router cutter depth and cut a rebate around the apertures on one side of the door (depth of rebate to accommodate glass and softwood moulding/glass-beading which is used to retain the glass). Fit glass and hold glass-bead with veneer pins.

Method 2 (no router):
Knock-out the offending panels & clean-up/trim/sand apertures with plane, sharp chisel, etc (whatever appropriate tools are in your toolbag). Double the quantity of glazing-bead/moulding as in Method 1 'cos you'll fix one lot to create a 'stop' for the glass (in effect you've made a 'planted' rebate for the galss), then fit the glass as above.

You can hire routers but my view would be for you to get a 'budget' 1/4" router & 'budget' cutter set from one of the DIY sheds. They are very useful bits of kit and are perfect for this type of occasional use. Always practice on scrap first before you attack the real thing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back