Fitting gutters to sectional concrete garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all

Our bungalow has a 1960s sectional concrete garage. It’s never been fitted with gutters (we've only been here for 18 months), so the roof sheds rainwater directly onto the ground below, which stains the bottom few inches of the painted walls. I want to fit gutters below the roof of the affected wall, but I don’t want to drill into the garage, if possible.

One method I’ve considered is to fix battens to the wall using the existing bolts that hold the concrete sections together and attach the fascia to those, but IMO that would look rather messy, and I’d prefer fixings for a fascia board which are hidden below the edge of the roof ( see attached photos). Trouble is that I simply can’t work out what kind of hardware would do the job best.
Suggestions welcome, please.

TIA

Attachments

• IMG_3019.jpg
    IMG_3019.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3018.jpg
    IMG_3018.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 43
Sponsored Links
Directly under the roof panels, appear to be timber - could you not fix some facia onto that, then you gutter brackets onto the new facia?

Adding gutters and a down spout, you need to first work out where it will drain to - water-butt, soak away, or mains drainage.

Directly under the roof panels, appear to be timber - could you not fix some facia onto that, then you gutter brackets onto the new facia?

Adding gutters and a down spout, you need to first work out where it will drain to - water-butt, soak away, or mains drainage.
Thanks for the reply. Sadly the batten you’ve identified is concrete, not wood, and I wouldn’t want to drill into it. I’ll be draining into a water butt once I can work out how to put up the gutters.

Thanks for the reply. Sadly the batten you’ve identified is concrete, not wood, and I wouldn’t want to drill into it. I’ll be draining into a water butt once I can work out how to put up the gutters.

OK, alternative suggestion - make up some U-brackets, to just hook over the top edge of the concrete, from flat steel

Sponsored Links
OK, alternative suggestion - make up some U-brackets, to just hook over the top edge of the concrete, from flat steel
Yes, that would work. I was hoping to find something ready made online but drew a blank, hence asking here. Just need to stop being lazy, source the flat steel and get on with it.

Some kind of 'square' S hook, hooked over the panel between the corrugations. Attach a continuous 4x1 to this, and build it off of that.

*Edit* beaten to it.

Google 'square s hook' Ikea have something useful looking.

Yes, that would work. I was hoping to find something ready made online but drew a blank, hence asking here. Just need to stop being lazy, source the flat steel and get on with it.

By the look of where the edge of the roof finishes, you may need to space the brackets out from the wall surface a bit, maybe a bit of timber, bolted to the brackets?

By the look of where the edge of the roof finishes, you may need to space the brackets out from the wall surface a bit, maybe a bit of timber, bolted to the brackets?
Yes, there is some distance between the roof edge and the top of the wall; probably about six inches. I can handle that, I reckon :0)

Some kind of 'square' S hook, hooked over the panel between the corrugations. Attach a continuous 4x1 to this, and build it off of that.

*Edit* beaten to it.

Google 'square s hook' Ikea have something useful looking.
Now that Harry and yourself have prompted my imagination I’ve found stacks of “square S hooks” online. Just need to measure the thickness of the wall to find the right ones!

You may be able to modify/bend some rise and fall brackets too and push them under the corrugate

You may be able to modify/bend some rise and fall brackets too and push them under the corrugate
Yes, and it is a pretty narrow gap. Plenty of food for thought and some careful measurement needed before buying any hooks.

Are you massively averse to drilling the concrete? I've drilled loads of these without issue, starting with a small masonry drill and working up in size, they do have a bit of rebar in but if you hit that just move the hole over a cm. Maybe have a try in an unobtrusive area. It would make the whole job much easier.

Yes, and it is a pretty narrow gap. Plenty of food for thought and some careful measurement needed before buying any hooks.

I wouldn't buy any ready-made. Just buy some around 30x3mm steel strip, and bend them in the vice, to perfectly match what you need.

Are you massively averse to drilling the concrete? I've drilled loads of these without issue, starting with a small masonry drill and working up in size, they do have a bit of rebar in but if you hit that just move the hole over a cm. Maybe have a try in an unobtrusive area. It would make the whole job much easier.
I've got it into my head that it will damage the concrete, yes, although admittedly it would be much easier if I could successfully drill the concrete batten at the top of the wall. However, I might take up your suggestion of doing a couple of test drillings elsewhere and see where that takes me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back