Fitting Isolator or Henley block

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this is potentially dangerous but needs to be done.

using correct gear, electricians gloves, VDE cutter/ stripper and phillips, goggles, rubber mat, no other metal near, CU switched off, how many of you would cut the meter tails (individually!) , strip and feed into plastic isolator enclosure.

I presume neutral first, then shield terminal with piece plastic inside enclosure while you put live in. "Guarded" by 60A fuse, would this be safer than taking ceramic fuse out of old cast iron Lucy enclosure - and obviously cutting seal.

Its just like welding in reverse.............

Sponsored Links
john 45 said:
I know this is potentially dangerous but needs to be done.

Why does it have to be done. Why not ask the supply company to come and pull the fuse ( or release the live tail from their meter ) while you fit the Henley block in safety.....

Its just like welding in reverse.............

Most welders live to weld another day.

But yes in desperate situations I have worked on live cables but do not like having to and do NOT recommend it. If you must do it then have some one observing you who is practised in post electrocution first aid and CPR.

Ring DNO which I think is EDF in your area most of the time they will give you permission to break seal on supply fuse.

Only once was I asked for any credentials.

Sponsored Links
john 45 said:
...ceramic fuse out of old cast iron Lucy enclosure...

You have at least three options:

Amateur working live and cutting/stripping live tails :(
Amateur pulling crumbly old fuse :(
Professional doing it for you :)

Two of these are dangerous.
Use option 3.

Id do it with my facesheld,jointers gloves and shroud i have. Saying that it would be a last resort to pulling the fuse out of the cutout. Ive changed over plenty of Streetlighting cutouts live but always takn great care and only done if theres no other way.

bernardgreen said:
have some one observing you who is practised in post electrocution first aid and CPR.

Post electrocution first aid?

Do they carry body bags & the phone number of a funeral director?

Yeah, I agree with John.

I cannot in any way sanction this behaviour.

You MUST get the DNO to sort this out. Even they don't work live when they don't have to. They pull the fuse.

Don't act rash just to save cash.

securespark said:
bernardgreen said:
have some one observing you who is practised in post electrocution first aid and CPR.

Post electrocution first aid?

Do they carry body bags & the phone number of a funeral director?

Often if you get to the person within minute or two of the shock and give effective CRP ( kiss of life and chest compressions for the heart ) then there is a reasonable chance of eventual recovery.

Electrocution is the term used for a fatal electric shock. If CPR is successful then they get demoted to only receiving an electric shock :p

Even a hardened sparky like my self does not pull ceramic DNO fuses in the old cast iron cutouts. (anymore)

I have personally had one snap while attempting to remove it. :eek:

Fortunatly I lived to tell the tail, but it was a close call.

I was saved by insulated pliers, but the DNO chappie was less than impressed.

RF Lighting said:
Even a hardened sparky like my self does not pull ceramic DNO fuses in the old cast iron cutouts. (anymore)

I have personally had one snap while attempting to remove it. :eek:

Fortunatly I lived to tell the tail, but it was a close call.

I was saved by insulated pliers, but the DNO chappie was less than impressed.

Are you my doppelganger? :LOL:

OK more like bomb disposal than welding in reverse.

Is it safe to change MCBs with the consumer unit isolated by the 100A switch, obviously touch as little as possible and use VDE tools. I want to reduce the old MCBs from 32A to 20A - Garage Shed, security lights, and remove a 5 amp bell MCB - not used and replace with cover.

Are these old Lucy Oxford cutouts dangerous, - should i try to get EDF to replace it with a non rewireable fuse unit, would they then put in an isolator for me?.

Thanks for the advice,

Why do you want to change the 32A MCB's to 20A?

Once you switch off the 100A main switch the only parts that are still live are the tails coming from the meter up to the top of the incomer. Assuming the electrician who fitted the CU did a good job the insulation should go pretty much right up to the terminals, so unless you are a complete idiot it's pretty difficult to touch a live part once it is isolated :p The only time you will need to isolate the tails is when you are changing the incomer or replacing the tails from the meter so you really don't need to get an isolator switch installed.

And as long as you don't touch the old cut-out it's not really dangerous. But you could always give EDF a ring and say you heard it buzzing or something.

Davy

davy_owen_88 said:
Once you switch off the 100A main switch the only parts that are still live are the tails coming from the meter up to the top of the incomer.

On some old CUs (including older Wylex standard) the incoming terminals and fixing screws, and bits of copper to them, are exposed and live at the top of the main switch. Wylex (did?) provide push-on translucent plastic shrouds to retrofit, I had some f.o.c.

If you have an older metalclad or cast-iron fusebox there may be more exposed live parts even when turned off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back