Fitting kitchen worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

1/ I'm fitting a kitchen worktop 4mtrs long which is quite heavy. Once the sink and hob holes are cut, how vulnerable is it to snapping?

I have to cut the nose? back due to narrowing of the room, and have edging strip to finish this edge. The worktop is 40mm the strip is 45mm, what is the best way to trim it down to size?

Cheers, Camerart.

Sponsored Links
You normally trim the rear not front edge if that's what you refer too?

The worktop is normal for 3 mtrs, then has to pass a chimney breast, so needs to be narrowed by cutting the front back.

I will also have to narrow a unit too, this will be from the rear.

Cheers, Camerart.

Sponsored Links
After the event!

I looked up how to do it on the web and found loads of answers, some needed better tools than I have. I gambled that i could do it with my 'hobby' tools.

I clamped timber guides for my router (1/4") to follow, and with only cheap bits, I only cut 1/4" through the surface first, then 2 more cuts down to 3/4 way through the 40mm. There are two straight cuts and a curve (bullnose?) I did the bullnose by clamping a piece of timber across the worktop and using the router guide, with a hole in it, to make a radius cutter. (If anyone needs a diagram I will draw one) Then I used a jigsaw to get as close to the clean cut as possible, then sandpaper flat.

WARNING!

As I said my router is too small and on the deeper cuts, the bit kept coming out, making (luckily) gouges out of the edge, which will fill in, and be covered by edging. I burnt out two bits. I have been lucky, so I advise an amateur to get in a professional, or have better tools, for success.

Cheers, Camerart.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back