Kitchen worktop cutting

cb7

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

New kitchen worktops (chipboard & veneer).

Instructions recommend cutting (sink hole) with worktop face-down, if using a jigsaw?
This goes against all my instincts. Surely face-up would give a neater edge (unseen anyway)?

Any advice welcomed.
Thanks, cb7

Sponsored Links
yes 100% from the top if using a jigsaw
if you use pendulum on the corners or the blade "wanders" its always 10 times worse underneath[farthest away from the machine ] because you have a guide wheel at the machine end

use a brand new blade [101 b or d]for each cutout
dont push to hard
keep the cut line clean
if the blade goes off line go back and angle the blade about 5 degrees the opposit way to help it bite back onto line

if the blade keeps stalling/jambing look underneath to check the blade hasnt gone way off line or trying to cut the workmate in half :oops: :oops: ;)

Excellent advice.
I'm off to buy some new blades, then.

Many thanks big-all, for a quick and informative reply.
Hope I can return the favour some day.
All the best, cb7

Sponsored Links
probably too late now, but if the sink has a very narrow flange and you are worried the formica may splinter near the edge, buy yourself a downward cutting blade.

Another tip for worktops, If you cut a lot of scribe joints and want to save your router bit, after you have made your first pass with the router (about 10mm deep) trim off the waste with your jigsaw before completing your further passes.

This means the bit is only cutting your work piece and not going blunt cutting waste.

Ok carry on, sorry for interupting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back