Kitchen Worktop jointing problem

S J

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there
I'm looking at doingmy new kitchen worktops this week, have done normal router joints before, but in this new kitchen we opted for a chisel unit, reducing worktop tepth from 600 to 400 on the front edge. (hope this makes sense and I'm explaing properley - all units are flat against wall, then on front edge runs straight then angles out on the chisel unit to the 600 depth)

How would you cut the joints to get the nice bull nose edge to meet both depths of worktops, do you cut straight back or on an angle?????

cheers S J

Sponsored Links
Bi-sect the angle and do a straight mitre cut not a masons mitre. Still use a router to get a good clean cut but you can run it against a straight edge or use the straight part of a jig.

Jason

Ok cool thanks Jason, thats the sort of approach I was thinking, if you've done it before would you have the joints running straight back from carcass edge to wall, or would you do it diagionally following the line of the door if you get what I mean? Just wondered what might look better?And would the angle be 27.5 or would it vary?
Steve

To get the perfect joint between the two postformed edges the angles should be bi-sected, that is to say not at right angles to the main top or angled top but half & half. Assuming your chisel unit is 600wide this will give you an external angle of 162Deg approx {180-(tan of 200/600)} so cut each end of the tops at 81degs each.

If you only have a small radius on the worktop you could get away with cutting the main top at right angles and the chisel top at 72degs.

Jason[/code]

Sponsored Links
Cheers again Jason, but now this has confused me, I was always lost with Maths!!! :LOL: My unit is 365mm wide not 600 and believe it has external angle of 120 degrees so therefore cut at 60degrees, but surely this is then the same as if you ran 2 parrellel lines from the door???? but hey never mind will try and work it out as I'm giving it ago tomorrow! Hope they have spare tops in stock :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back