Fitting Kitchen, your advice for floor under units?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Im about to fit an Ikea kitchen. I will be putting down some flooring afterwards maybe laminate or tiles as I haven't decided yet, but I want to to save some money on the flooring by only doing the part you see. The floor area under the units I was thinking of just using some plywood to bring it up to a decent level roughly to the height of the flooring I will be putting down?

Does this seem like a good idea?

Sponsored Links
Level it up by all means but certainly no need to waste money on good flooring under the units, assuming you will have plinths to cover the legs.

Level it up by all means but certainly no need to waste money on good flooring under the units, assuming you will have plinths to cover the legs.

The floor is pretty good, do you think I could get away with just sitting the units on the exisiting floor and then adjusting upwards with the legs? The only think I dont like about this is that it can proove difficult with pulling out washing machines etc.

Assuming you are talking about freestanding appliances then your floor finish needs to go under them as well. As for the floor under the units themselves then no need to add anything, just use the adjustable legs as you say.

Sponsored Links
You could always trim the plinth heights if need be.

When I did the Kitchen in my old house, i sat the floor units on the old concrete floor. Because the house had such a severe lean towards the rear of the house I had to wind the legs fully up at the low points and all the way down at the high points!

I tiled the new floor and finished the tiles just under where the plinths would be sitting (to the nearest full tile).

I just stuck some ply under where the washing machine & dishwasher were to aid removal (which I needed to do every winter when the waste pipe froze outside - God I miss my first house!!!)

Hi Guys

Im about to fit an Ikea kitchen. I will be putting down some flooring afterwards maybe laminate or tiles as I haven't decided yet, but I want to to save some money on the flooring by only doing the part you see. The floor area under the units I was thinking of just using some plywood to bring it up to a decent level roughly to the height of the flooring I will be putting down?

Does this seem like a good idea?

i did exactly this. Put the laminate down after fitting the kitchen, then put the plinths on - they fit fine (presuming you haven't got some fabulously soft and thick underlay for your laminate).

I put the washing machine and dishwasher on pieces of ply to approx the same depth of the laminate plus underlay to facilitate pulling them out for maintenance / replacement /access etc

You could always trim the plinth heights if need be.

When I did the Kitchen in my old house, i sat the floor units on the old concrete floor. Because the house had such a severe lean towards the rear of the house I had to wind the legs fully up at the low points and all the way down at the high points!

I tiled the new floor and finished the tiles just under where the plinths would be sitting (to the nearest full tile).

I just stuck some ply under where the washing machine & dishwasher were to aid removal (which I needed to do every winter when the waste pipe froze outside - God I miss my first house!!!)

Thanks for the advise it seems that most agree it's fine to just floor up to the plinth

Aside from all the above.
A point to watch with IKEA units, which are generally good units btw, is that they go right back to the wall i.e. no void to run services there e.g. pipework, like most other units.

So before you start, make sure you drop any services on the walls behind down to near floor level then you can cut the units to allow for them, as there is obviously a void under the units.

Hope that made sense to you :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back