Kitchen units on top of laminate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at replacing my 35yr old kitchen with a 2nd hand one which is kindly being given to me.

Do I fit the laminate flooring first, and then put the kitchen units on top of it. Or fit the kitchen units first onto bare floorboards and then lay he laminate around the units?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Either or.

Laminate first gives (I think) a better finish, and you can seal round the laminate edges to the walls to stop any leaks getting under the laminate.
Units first makes it easier to renew the laminate at a later date without disrupting the units.

laminate up to units, the laminate needs to expand, though in kitchens quickly gets ruined by even minor water leaks and spills.

If I had to have laminate I would fit the units first and lay the flooring up to the legs.
This way the units are set on something solid , if on laminate and you had a flood of water from leak or natural disaster you can take the flooring up without disturbing the kitchen units.
litl

Sponsored Links
You need to consider if you have enough room to fit & remove appliances for servicing,(the height from floor to underside of work top) from that point of view it is better to have the units & appliances on top of the laminate.

My Daughters kitchen was done up to the legs and there was plenty of room to get the dishwasher and washing machine out. We did have to slide couple of squares of sheet steel under the legs to form a ramp up over the lip though.
litl

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back